Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Wokkeltje
    Participant

tnx for the update, where can we find info about the custom weather script changes?

Samer
    Keymaster

2.1.6 just got merged into master on the repository a few hours ago. The release notes and documentation will be released shortly along with the compiled firmware files (for microcontroller users).

Thank you for your patience

Sean
    Participant

Looks like the update blew away my configuration. Frustrating.

I am now looking for the default password so I can recover to the last back up.

Sean
    Participant

Found the default password and imported an old program so we are back up.

One thing I noticed is that the location now says Loveland, Co. It used to say KCOLOVEL23 which is the local weather underground station. When I tape the change location bar, I get a map with no weather underground stations on it. How do I get the local station endeared?

Samer
    Keymaster

Hi Sean,

The application changelog is posted here: https://github.com/OpenSprinkler/OpenSprinkler-App/releases and in the latest release, 1.4.7, the location field was updated and works as follows:

Location input is no longer text based but instead opens a Google Maps overlay. When a Weather Underground API key is provided, nearby personal and airport weather stations are shown. When a selection is made, the GPS coordinates are saved (this works for PWS and ICAO codes). A search box is provided at the top of the map which allows any input, such as: street address, zip code, GPS coordinates, etc. Google also provides auto completion results for your assistance.

Just to clarify, when using the GPS coordinates: Weather Underground will resolve to the same weather station.

Thank you!

Update: Regarding the configuration, this is cleared on every update. Both the documentation and firmware updater tool warn of this when updating.

Sean
    Participant

I do have an API key set. But the location map does not show any stations. I will try zooming out to see if any are shown within a 10 mile radius. There should be at leSt twenty.

Regarding the note in the update notice, I did not see it.

Samer
    Keymaster

Make sure to refresh the page so the latest JavaScript files are being loaded.

If you are using one of the apps, there is a user reported bug where the weather stations don’t show until you move the map. This has been fixed in the web UI and soon in the apps as well.

Thank you

Sean
    Participant

I am using the IOS app on an old iPad with current OS.

Moving or resizing the map does not cause stations to appear. I have also tried deleting the WU key, saving, re-entering, saving. No change. I will try the web UI next.

Re the warning of the configuration wipe:
    I was also using the IOS app. I saw the notification icon in the upper right, clicked it, saw the notice of an update with a link to help. Clicked the link and a window popped up that had the content from this link in it (I think)
    https://opensprinkler.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000631599-installing-and-updating-the-unified-firmware

Nowhere in the text did I see the warning. Still don’t. I understand that I may only be seeing what I expect to see, so don’t think that I will be insulted if you point out what is in front of my nose.

Sean
    Participant

The web UI on an iPad has the same symptoms as the IOS app. Trying my Mac now.

Samer
    Keymaster

Ah, you have OSPi. I was referring to the microcontroller version. You are right that guide does not. We will update it to do so, thanks!

For the issue with the weather stations let me do some additional testing and get back to you. In the meantime, can you verify the issue by using demo.opensprinkler.com. It’s running the latest software to confirm.

Thanks!

Sean
    Participant

The Web UI from my Mac failed the same way at first.

In Safari on OS X 10.10.5 the location in the System section said Colorado, USA instead of Loveland, Colorado or the station name.
    Clicked the location field and was presented with a map that had only one pin (in red) this was the location of my house. No other pins displayed. moving or resizing had no effect.
    At this point I clicked the Submit button in the detail bubble that was attached to the one red pin then, without clicking the Submit button on the main options screen, clicked the location field once again.
    YAY! The map now displayed the blue weather station icons. I repeated this three times (each without clicking Submit in the main options screen and got the same result each time.
    Then, I went back and did it a fourth time but this time selected the closest station to my home and clicked its Submit button, then clicked the submit button on the Options screen, saving the settings.

The location still says Colorado, USA, not the station ID as It used to. But now, when I click the location field (still from my Mac) it shows all the weather station pins with the nearest one selected.

How do I verify that the correct station is configured? Will it ever display the weather station ID in the location field again?

Edit:
    Was testing and typing when your reply above came in and didn’t see it. Do you still want me to test the demo site?

Samer
    Keymaster

The issue you are describing was fixed very recently and honestly our CDN might still be caching the older copy.

I just issued a purge of the entire cache on our CDN. So if you try again after instructing your browsers to purge their cache, the issue should be fixed. This also fixed the station name (basically everything you are describing).

To verify the station is correct simply open the map. It should show the same GPS coordinates as the station. Weather Underground will resolve the coordinates back to your station every time.

Update: Also, please note the station pins are not told to be shown when the zoom level is very low (viewing the whole country, etc).

Update 2: Again, the apps are still affected but an update will be pushed soon to resolve it there.

Sean
    Participant

Dumped the browser cache, opened SSH to OSPi and repeated the update steps (3 files changed) including restart of the app, browsed to OSPi from my Mac’s Safari…

The configuration was not erased and the location still says Colorado, USA. Also, GPS coordinates do not display on the map or anywhere else.

I am done for the night. I would like to completely remove OSPi from the Pi and reinstall from scratch in the morning. Can you point me at the best method of doing this?

Samer
    Keymaster

The GPS coordinates are never just shown to you. So that explains why you are not finding the numbers.

The update procedure only clears the configuration if the version changes (due to how the configuration is stored). Restarting the program will not clear the configuration. If you wish to clear the configuration, you may simply delete nvm.dat in the same directory as OpenSprinkler and restart the program.

Also, the station name is not shown in the location field because again only the coordinates are being saved. Weather Underground takes the coordinates and locates the nearest station. If they match exactly with a known station, of course that station will be selected 100% of the time. Therefore, there is no difference. The map tool has been created to help by overlaying the weather stations using their known coordinates. Furthermore, the location box above allows precise address entry (home address). This allows you to quickly just drop a pin on your OpenSprinkler. Then, the closest weather station is always used.

Lastly, regarding the name being shown on the location button. This is exactly the same as the text being shown on the home page. It uses Google’s Reverse Geocoding. I am not using Weather Underground locations because the names internationally are not consistent and even contain errors. The Reverse geocoding isn’t perfect, I admit. But I am working on improving the relevance of the city, state names being shown. But yes, I am also seeing Colorado, USA for your location. I will see what I can do to improve that.

Thank you for the detailed reporting. I hope that helps explain some of the issues.

Sean
    Participant

Yup, explains a lot.

I’ll not wipe and reinstall tomorrow and will just let it run.

Thanks for your work and dedication. Now..

Get some sleep. 🙂

William
    Participant

2.1.6 was loaded without incident. Restoring my backup was troubling. The pull down for restore from this device was initially missing. I had to restore from a 2 month old file. After the restore the import from this App option reappeared. In 2.1.6 save to file and save to e-mail no longer work on my PC. I think may may be a Windows 10 issue since I can save to e-mail on my phone.

Bill

Samer
    Keymaster

Sorry to hear about the import from app option not appearing. I will look into that and see if I can find out why.

Regarding to save to file/email: what browser are you using?

William
    Participant

I tested with Firefox, Explorer 11 and Edge. E-mail and file save save does not work in Explorer 11 or Edge but does work in Firefox.
    Thanks for the speedy reply.

Bill

Lutz
    Participant

Hello Ray and Samer,

I just successfully updated to version 2.1.6. Thanks to your detailed update instructions and the firmware updater program the update via Linux was very easy. Configuration export and import via e-mail worked fine.

Best regards from Germany,

Lutz

Ray
    Keymaster

@Lutz: thanks for reporting.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I updated and imported backup fine, but now watering percentage is stuck at 0 and shows system idle. No changes to Zimmerman method make any difference. I have restarted OpenSprinkler as well as rebooted (OsPi)…still no change.

Ray
    Keymaster

Our weather server had an issue last night and this morning and the weather script was not returning valid data. Try again, like reboot or restart the OpenSprinkler process and see if it makes any difference.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep, it started working yesterday evening. Thanks!

Studley
    Participant

I have just upgraded to 2.1.6 and I am having trouble with getting the time zone to update.

My raspberry Pi is set to the correct time zone – right now the system date returns ‘Wed Sep 23 08:29:03 AEST 2015’ while the OSPI web interface shows ‘Sep 22, 2015 18:29:03’.

In the options the time zone pull down (displaying -4:00) is greyed out and the location has been set correctly and returns the correct weather.

The previous version worked perfectly and I cannot seem to get this corrected.

Any ideas?

Martin
    Participant

Hi,

a) set the location where I am on the map
    b) restart Raspi

Martin

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.