OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions DIY Kit Assembly Questions Voltage High on VIN & VCC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jrjobe

Good afternoon!

I finished putting the OpenSprinkler kit together last night and finally had a chance to start the testing.

First, I measured the voltage on the transformer and it came out to 28VAC.

Next I checked the voltage on VIN and VCC and the voltages were about double:

VIN: 10.4V
    VCC: 6.6V

I did solder in two 1 ohm resistors for Rsc since I will be using a wireless router, if that makes any difference?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Josh

Ray
    Keymaster

These voltages are too high. Something is wrong. Try to power the controller through USB (instead of transformer), and measure the VIN and VCC voltages again. Also, you can measure the resistance between VIN and GND, also VCC and GND, and see if there is any potential shorting.

jrjobe

@ray wrote:

These voltages are too high. Something is wrong. Try to power the controller through USB (instead of transformer), and measure the VIN and VCC voltages again. Also, you can measure the resistance between VIN and GND, also VCC and GND, and see if there is any potential shorting.

Hi Ray,

Thank you so much for replying when you did. I definitely didn’t expect a reply until at least for a few days. I did what you suggested and everything measured as advertised. Tried a different transformer, same results. Completely baffled, checked the schematics, everything looked fine, so I went back through the testing instructions and realized that my tendency to take everything literally for what it says got the best of me. When the instructions said to test the leads on the transformer to ensure it measures no more than 28VAC, then it went on to say to check the voltage on VIN and VCC – it didn’t mention VDC, and I wasn’t thinking about the switching regulator outputting DC, not AC. So this whole time, I was taking measurements in VAC 😡 …using the correct setting, everything checks out the way it should. 🙂

Thank you again Ray for your help. Top Notch customer service! I will definitely order from you again when I am in the market for another OpenSprinkler 😀

Josh

Ray
    Keymaster

Josh,

No problem. You made a good point, so I went on and modified the instructions to make it clear that VIN and VCC voltages are measured in DC. Thanks.

jrjobe

Thanks Ray! Looks good! I just noticed the picture where you were doing the voltage checks actually showed the multimeter in VDC 😆

The OpenSprinkler works AMAZING! Can’t believe how universal the programming is! Super easy to learn and definitely not near as confusing as the other two old controllers I have.

Very Respectively,

Josh

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions DIY Kit Assembly Questions Voltage High on VIN & VCC