Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Zapp
    Participant

Hi!

I can’t find any information on how ‘Water Level’ is used. Can someone explain this?

/Jonas…

Samer
    Keymaster

It’s a multiplier of time. 100% is the default and takes whatever duration you have set in your programs. 150% is 1.5x the time duration for your station and 50% is half, for example.

Ray
    Keymaster

That’s right. Since quite a few users asked about this, I have added more details to the user manual. Please see this section for the explanation:
    http://rayshobby.net/?page_id=3775#setup

Oleengr
    Participant

My experience with tablets and smart phone apps as well as my own habits tells me that hardly anybody writes user manuals or help files any more because nobody reads them! They are becoming the dinosaurs of present technology. It’s not that they aren’t needed for some complex items, but terms like this shouldn’t be a mystery for native English speakers

If the parameter WATER LEVEL was labeled as % WATERING or some other verb form, then most native English speakers would quickly comprehend, what it refers to.

I can sympathize with the OP because I had the same question, and I’ve been around irrigation controllers for a while.

Samer
    Keymaster

@Oleengr I was also confused about “water level” and had to read the manual to figure it out.

I wrote the app before that moment and therefore I used the same wording. Thank you for the suggestion! I am updating the app now.

Ray
    Keymaster

To be honest, I don’t think ‘% Watering% would make it obviously clear to a typical user what the parameter is for either. The matter of fact is that there are technical terms that are difficult to explain without at least one sentence of explanation. I understand that most users don’t read user manuals and don’t want to read user manuals. I agree that most products should be designed to be self-explanatory. But at least they should be aware there is a user manual they can refer to when something is not immediately clear.

As some personal experience: I regularly upgrade my cameras. A product like a camera has been designed and refined over so many years that I should think I don’t need to read a user manual any more. But there are still a lot of advanced features that I simple do not understand without reading the manual. Maybe if one day Apple designs a camera, or sprinkler controller, they can do it in such a way that you don’t need to read the user manual. Until then 🙂

FelipeRojas
    Participant

It depends on each country how they interpretate. For example im from chile, and i got very clear what “Water level” means in this case, because i readed the whole manual before start using it and its advanced features (advanced user). But at home, my dad use the sprinkler every day for manual operating (basic app user) and one day he asked me “what water level means”, understanding it like a sensor over a water tank, or something related with literaly water level.

In spanish, for a better undestanding should be something like “Factor de Riego” or “Factor de Tiempo”. Just like time or watering factor. For anyone who reads thats knows exactly that it is a multiplier of time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.