OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) weather adjust plugin – how does it know where I live

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

pls90
    Participant

I am not quite sure how to correctly input my location into my OPSi.
    In the plugin settings I chose wunderground and entered my API key.
    As there is no field to enter my location I figured to enter “city,country” in options > system > location in the web based program.
    I checked with the wunderground web page, with this format I get my local forecast.
    In the OpenSprinkler Androis app I don’t see any info on weather.
    When I change the location format to “ZIPcode,country” I see the foreast on the Android app, but on wunderground this loaction doesn’t return a forecast.
    Either way, in the web app I have never seen any info if rain delay was modified bases on the weather forecast.
    I would really appreciate any hint as to how get this setup correctly.

rederikus
    Participant

Using the Web page on the OSPi (http://ipaddress:8080/) login and then go to the Options page. Click the System tab and it will drop down to show several fields.

Enter your location much as I have done and the designated weather provider will be given this data. Then it should work

Samer
    Keymaster

This is a new plugin and I am still tightening the integration with the mobile app (more to come on this in the next update). The weather shown in the mobile app is separate than the OSPi weather plugin source (weather plugin vs weather provider in settings page). This will be changed in the next update to use the OSPi information when provided rather than the mobile app settings.

As you noticed it uses the location set via the device options page.

The plugin outputs it’s status to console. The plugin uses the rain delay setting to execute its stop and therefore will be noticed as a rain delay in the mobile app when activated.

pls90
    Participant

I just realized that zip codes are only supported by wunderground for the us. As I live in Germany I entered “Grafrath,Germany” as location on the options page. Wunderground web page shows a thunderstorm forecast for this afternoon. Still, in the web app I get “no rain sensed”. Log shows the programs were run this morning. Rain delay seems not to be working.

Samer
    Keymaster

Do you have APscheduler installed for Python?

pls90
    Participant

No, i don’t think so. I did just now. Forecast was right, it’s raining now. No rain delay was added. Did i miss something?

Samer
    Keymaster

I just pulled the latest version of the code on Dan’s Github (https://github.com/Dan-in-CA/OSPi) and used your location: “Grafrath,Germany” which returned “rain” weather code triggering a rain delay when using Weather Underground. Going to the homepage shows the rain delay is in fact set.

However, when using Yahoo! weather I noticed two things. One I have a bug preventing Yahoo weather from triggering a delay. I just pushed a fix to Dan’s repo and hopefully have that merged in soon. Second, your location right now on Yahoo weather is returning “cloudy” (code 28) which would not trigger the delay anyways.

Thanks for the information. I also found a bug preventing weather from being shown in your location on the mobile app and have already issued a fix for it for the next version.

rederikus
    Participant

Rain delay may not do what you think. I discovered this when I played with it. I thought it would give me a delay in watering after the rain sensor had activated thus giving the ground time to dry out. Not so. It seems to be a way of providing a delay in watering that is absolute. By this I mean that if you set it for 12 hours then it will not allow watering for the next 12 hours. It seems to have nothing to do with the rain sensor that I have on my system.

Maybe someone can tell me if this is correct.

pls90
    Participant

@salbahra
    OK, I too did a git pull, restarted and for the first time see “SUPPRESSED BY RAIN DELAY”. Thank you! 😀
    I have no idea though why it didn’t work earlier.

@rederikus

I guess we had a similar idea what “rain delay” is.
    So in line of your interpretation this would be used by someone without a hardware rain sensor to avoid any program start for the next x hours, right?

rederikus
    Participant

Yep.

Samer
    Keymaster

I have updated my plugin (weather_adj) to no longer use APScheduler. The new plugin is awaiting Dan’s approval but should resolve the headaches people are experiencing.

rederikus
    Participant

Thank you.

It would be useful if the rain delay did not affect manual operation. I know this has come up before quite recently but it really seems to stop any testing or demonstration once the rain delay has grabbed control. Rain delay works fine. It just seems to be in the wrong place in the system.

Rain delay also would benefit from working two ways.
    1). the current way that permits a delay when no rain detector is present. This is as it works today.
    2). to impose a delay at the end of a rain detector delay. By this I mean that the system has a rain detector but a further delay needs to happen after the rain detector has decided that it is no longer raining. Thus a rain detector that simply detects the current presence of water and turns off immediately the water has stopped can be catered for.

Is that clear? Hope so… If not please come back and grumble at me to be more coherent.

pls90
    Participant

+1 for rederikus idea

pls90
    Participant

Another question regarding rain delay.
    The rain yesterday set the rain delay which will end in 13min.
    Guess what! It started to rain again. Wunderground agrees: current weather condition light rain, forecast thunderstorm. How does the logic for adding a rain delay work? I would have expected to see an additional delay in the light of current conditions and forecast

bradl001

I believe the program uses the current observations data. Specifically, the ‘icon’ and ‘icon_url’ fields because they provide a text value of what the weather is currently.

The following are considered adverse weather:

adverse_codes = ["flurries","sleet","rain","sleet","snow","tstorms","nt_flurries","nt_sleet","nt_rain","nt_sleet","nt_snow","nt_tstorms"]

The following will reset (clear??) the rain delay:

reset_codes = ["sunny", "clear", "mostlysunny", "partlycloudy"]

Maybe there are more fields values that originally anticipated?

Now, I’d like to ask if the program could consider using the same information from the hourly forecast. The reason being is that I don’t want to water the grass if I know there is a X percent probability of rain in the next Y hours. Of course, I’d like X and Y to be user defined. 🙂 I believe the hourly forecast has a field called ‘pop’ for probability of precipitation?

Thanks!
    Brad

pls90
    Participant

Current weathercondition on Wunderground “light rain”. Ospi says “no rain sensed”. Rain delay is Not working. 😕

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) weather adjust plugin – how does it know where I live