OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions WiFi Distance

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

[email protected]
    Participant

have got os 3.0 but need to set up at my valves in fruit property 350 meters from my office router
    whats the best way to do this either use repeaters or can I connect some how to RF signal

Ray
    Keymaster

Well, this is a tricky question to answer and it depends on your specific setup. For example, here are two options to begin with:
    – extend your valve wires to closer to where the office router is, so that OS can reach the WiFi signal, and still get physically connected to your valves.
    – use WiFi range extender or set up a mesh network so the WiFi signal can reach further into the field

[email protected]
    Participant

Thanks Ray for the reply
    I am thinking maybe the antenna in the link only problem is I have 2x Os3.0 and they are in opposite directions
    so may have to get 2 antennas
    any suggestions are greatly appreciated
    regards Rick

Ray
    Keymaster

I would suggest that you send the controller back to us so we can replace the top layer with another board that has WiFi chip with external antenna plug. If it’s not convenient for you to send it back, you can purchase such a top board and replace it on your controller by yourself. In either case, you can submit a support ticket with the request.

riverracer
    Participant

i have a OS3.0 Ac all mounted and wired up, the location was checked for signal before i ran the main power cables down thru the double brick wall, a location that has worked well for last few months, but lately the wifi has been bit his n miss, dropping out, won’t connect etc, have tried changing the main wifi channel etc, but no change.
    not a big fan of wifi extenders, so i am interested in the top WiFi chip with external antenna connection you mentioned, are we talking about the “ESP8266 ESP-07S” board?
    as i’m in Australia, can i please get a correct part number so i can try and source local?
    thanks

Ray
    Keymaster

Yes, ESP-07S is the version of the chip that has a connector for external WiFi antenna. Please note that replacing the chip yourself would require surface mount rework tools such as hot air gun.

riverracer
    Participant

thanks for the chip information.
    my chip turned up today, way smaller than i thought it would be… will get a tech from work to replace it for me, my eyesight is not up to soldering things that small.
    after it’s swapped over and an antenna connected, is there any thing else that needs to be done or is it good to go?

i think my signal problem is due to my next door neighbor having just build a large steel shed near where i have my controller mounted and it’s interfering with the router wifi signal.

Ray
    Keymaster

You will need to flash the firmware onto the new chip. The flashing procedure depends on what OS version you have: the very early version of OS 3 (with acrylic clear cover enclosure) has built-in USB serial and you can flash through the microUSB port; later ones (with white injection molded enclosure) do not have built-in USB serial anymore, you will need an external USB serial adapter, such as CH340-based (most inexpensive), FTDI, etc. It does require soldering 4 wires (5V, GND, TX, RX). Internally we use a custom made CH340 programmer, which has a card edge connector that plugs directly into the matching slot at the top of the PCB. Without the custom programmer, you need to solder 4 wires onto the card edge connector pins.

riverracer
    Participant

well that all programming just went over my head, I’ve never flashed boards like this before, never played with Rpi’s or Arduino’s etc. (unless you have detailed instruction/pictures for windows).
    I do have the latest unit, bought it in Dec ’19. I thought it was only the wifi chip, didn’t realize that was the main processor as well.
    Guess i’ll just leave it alone and put up with poor wifi reception, or re-run all the wiring and shift it some where else away from their shed..
    thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions WiFi Distance