• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

iDoug
    Participant

Am very glad to have the information on the Wiki. However, I don’t understand some of the commands and their ramifications. For example:
    sudo passwd -d root
    Exactly, what does this do and what are the consequences of doing it?
    I ask because it appears to have locked me out from making changes via the web pages. I can SSH to the BeagleBone and can see the web page at x.x.x.x:8080. I just cannot make any changes, regardless of what password I enter.

Next, can someone please explain why I want to use “tmpfs Filesystems”?

Ray
    Keymaster

These have to do with Linux commands, so you can Google about it. For example, sudo allows you to run a command as root; passwd is a command to change password. Many commands have a man page, so if you run ‘man passwd’ you will see the man page that explains the various parameters. You can also directly Google the command. I just checked and seems ‘-d root’ is used to delete the root password (i.e. make root passwordless).

iDoug
    Participant

Yes, you are correct I can search for what all the commands do and have done just that for many of them. However, none of my searches have told me what the effect of the command “sudo passwd -d root” does to the web page or the mobile app.

I would like to think it would have no effect, however that does not seem to be the case. It appears to be stopping access to http://x.x.x.x and allows only read access to the mobile app. Something else has allowed only read access to http://x.x.x.x:8080.

My only work-around is to reinstall everything and test every option I want to use before any command. Then a command, try every option again. Repeat this process until I figure out what works and what does not work.

Samer
    Keymaster

Okay I am looking at the wiki now and realize a lot of the changes being made are to ensure your system stays up and reliable.

The step you mention (sudo passwd -d root) will remove the root password. This sounds unsafe however there are policies in place to prevent access to a root account without a password. As a result, the only way to access superuser privileges is to sudo. Essentially, this is a security measure.

The tempfs is used to prevent logs from writing to your SD card. This increases the lifespan of the memory card but sacrifices log files after a reboot or loss of power. These can be helpful for debugging problems however on a stable system it probably is ideal to remove stress from the SD card.

iDoug
    Participant

Part of my issues are me. Forgot there are 2 passwords. One for ubuntu and the operating system and the other for OSBo.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.