OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Zimmerman Method without wunderground?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

baggar11
    Participant

New to OpenSprinkler and I haven’t found a clear answer to this. I’m wondering if it’s possible to use the Zimmerman method anymore now that wunderground no longer provides free API keys. And I have no pre-existing key. If not, how flexible is the manual method. Does it take into account weather at all or is it meant to adjust watering times easily throughout the year?

rlkeck
    Participant

Assuming you have recent firmware, the answerer is yes. If you don’t have a WU key, OpenSprinkler defaults to using OpenWeatherMap for weather data. You should see the current weather showing up near the top of the main screen of the app.

baggar11
    Participant

Great, thanks! I’ll give it a try.

baggar11
    Participant

Is simply setting the Zimmerman option and enabling water adjustment on the program enough to trigger an actual adjustment? Program kicked off this morning, but there were no adjustments in time from the logs.

Ray
    Keymaster

Yes, if you choose Zimmerman, that’s sufficient. If you do have a Wunderground API, you may still be able to use it (put that in the Edit Options -> Advanced section) — the weather algorithm automatically chooses between using OpenWeatherMap or WU depending on whether you provide a WU API key or not.

baggar11
    Participant

Thanks Ray, I appreciate the response. Will it take a day or two to adjust? I’m seeing that the default value is 70F and we have been in the high 80s and low 90s the last couple of days.

baggar11
    Participant

Another tip I figured out on this. I was seeing that under the diagnostics display, I was getting no last successful last weather calls. This ended up being an issue with the manual location selection under options. I had previously entered my city, selected it and then manually moved the pin to where I lived. After just selecting my city and leaving it there, I’m now seeing weather percentage adjustments on the home screen as well as successful weather calls.

Lefrancais
    Participant

I have a netatmo rain sensor, since the wonderground changed I haven’t figured out yet how to get the data to OSPI, tried OpenWeatherMap but it didn’t work.
    Any tips?
    Thank you

franzstein
    Participant

@Lefrancais: If you still have a valid WUnderground API key you can use Weather Underground with OpenSprinkler. The weather service MeteoWare Plus can be used to send the Netatmo weather data to Weather Underground. Please refer to MeteoWare Plus for your Netatmo Weather Station. More details can be found at the topic: No more free Wunderground key.

Regards

Franz

franzstein
    Participant

@Ray, @Samer: The current OWM interface implemented for OpenSprinkler doesn’t use hystorical weather data from the day before. In my opinion this isn’t exactly what will be needed for a working Zimmerman Method. What are the future plans here? There have been forum discussions about using Dark Sky, Netatmo or other weather services. Are there any results or decisions available?

More OpenSprinkler users might run into bigger problems if WUnderground deletes the service for existing API keys?

Please let us know if there are some plans on which way to go in the future.

Regards

Franz

Lefrancais
    Participant

Thank you @franzstein Meteoware did it it, it’s working for now! Let’s hop WUnderground doesn’t delete the existing API keys…

mcmuller
    Participant

…existing WUndergroud API keys expire end of 2018, as I just read on my API-page there….

franzstein
    Participant

@mcmuller: Bad news! Thanks for the notice.

WUnderground officials describe some exceptions for Personal Weather Station owners or developers who use WU API data for non-commercial purposes. I am not sure if this works out for OpenSprinkler owners who like to use the Zimmerman method to control the garden watering. There might be as well some software/firmware adaptations needed for OpenSprinkler to stick with the new WUnderground service, if possible at all?

I hope that we can get some information from Ray or Samer which weather service they like to use in the future? The current OWM interface implementation isn’t really as good as the WUnderground interface for OpenSprinkler.

Regards

Franz

Lefrancais
    Participant

Let’s hope Wunderground doesn’t disable the ones for Netatmo…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Zimmerman Method without wunderground?