OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Zones = Stations? Question regarding compatibilty

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

elek

I don’t yet have an open sprinkler pi but I’ve already begun to write an application for it. This led to a discovery that my irrigation system may, or may not be, compatible with open sprinkler pi.

So essentially I have this rather dated controller where I can toggle “auto, off, and on” and always a rotatory timer with little pieces of metal that trip the system on/off. Essentially I have no control over which zone I want to turn on, it’s sequental. Example, if I want to turn on the 3rd zone I would need to turn it on and off 3 times in order to activate that zone, with a pause in between to allow the main valve to rotate zones.

I could be wrong, but this is how the guy explained it to me. Does this mean that I only have 1 station that controls 4 zones?

Sorry if this is confusing, ask any specific questions that would make this clearer to you. I’m by no means an irrigation expert or an EE, I’m just a programmer.

pauldy
    Participant

Without seeing your setup it’s hard to tell you if what you were told is a load of carp or not.

If you move to a setup like this generally you remove the current irrigation controller entirely and replace it with this system. The wires for your zones that went to the current controller would instead go to the OpenSprinkler controller. This gives you control over each zone/solenoid individually. That said you could have some whacky controller but I doubt it. The real things to worry about is does your system use solenoids to control the water flow, and are these solenoids powered by 24vac. If yes to both of these question then you are good to go.

Ray
    Keymaster

@elek: I don’t completely understand how the controller works. Do you have the brand name / model number, or a link to the manufacturer website?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Zones = Stations? Question regarding compatibilty