OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler 1" 24VAC Brass Normally Open Solenoid Valve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

middlesea
    Participant

I want to use OpenSprinkler for a hydroponic ebb and flow system. We want to use standard 24VAC irrigation valves for flooding our tables. We also want to use 24VAC normally open valves to regulate the drains on our tables (The NO Valves will close when the table floods and open when irrigation stops). The ones we have installed now draw about 1.2 amps. I am concerned that level of current may be too much for open sprinkler as I have been experiencing undesired behavior when attempting to use these valves with opensprinkler. I can close and open the valve for a short time no problem. But if the valve stays open for a few minutes, when I stop the zone that controls that valve, it stays closed (energized). I’ve taken a multimeter and verified that even though the zone is stopped current continues to flow to the brass solenoid valve. Do you have any suggestions as to what the best approach would be to get these kind of valves to work with opensprinkler? Perhaps I need to use relays for these vales or is there a simpler approach? In case anyone wonders why not just use regular irrigation valves for the drain too, it’s because the valves need to work with low pressure and as far as I know irrigation valves need pressure to work properly. Any help with this project is greatly appreciated!

BinaryOS
    Participant

Relays for sure. Bonus is you can then select NO or NC contacts if requirements change in future.

I had issues with solenoids not closing with power removed. Because the dripper system low flow was not enough to seat the valve to close. I simply used a relay and timer so if the master solenoid is turned off the timer kicks in and dumps the water, this results in a higher flow allowing the non-powered solenoid that should have closed, to close (seat) with the pressure difference.

middlesea
    Participant

@BinaryOS Thanks, that’s exactly what we ended up doing. Everything’s working like a charm now that we added the relays in between OpenSprinkler and the solenoid valves

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler 1" 24VAC Brass Normally Open Solenoid Valve