OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) 24 VAC Transformer: will I blow the board??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

frankie75

Hi all,

I just got my OpenSprinklerPi 1.3 and I’m all ready to put it in operation but….
    I measured two 24VAC transformers I have at home and I got respectively 29.4 VAC (Hunter) and 30.2 VAC (Rainbird) , in a no-load condition.
    According to the manual I shouldn’t use the one above 30 but the 29.4 makes me uncomfortably close to the 30VAC limit.
    Will I blow the board?
    If yes, anyone could recommend a power supply on Amazon?

Thanks!!

Frankie

scottsh
    Participant

I picked this one up at my local Home Depot and it has been working just fine with OSPi and my valves.

http://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-UT1-Sprinkler-Transformer/dp/B000DCN8LS

frankie75

@scottsh wrote:

I picked this one up at my local Home Depot and it has been working just fine with OSPi and my valves.

http://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-UT1-Sprinkler-Transformer/dp/B000DCN8LS

That is one of the two I have and measures 30.2 VAC with a tester in a no-load condition. Did you meausure yours?

scottsh
    Participant

Interesting – no I didn’t. I just trusted the 26.5VAC output it listed and ran with it.

frankie75

@scottsh wrote:

Interesting – no I didn’t. I just trusted the 26.5VAC output it listed and ran with it.

If you have a tester at home, would you mind measuring yours, in VAC mode, with the terminals disconnected from Ospi board?

Ray
    Keymaster

@frankie75: probably both are ok. The no-load voltage voltage is indeed a bit high (especially the 30.2VAC one you measured), but keep in mind that multimeters also vary in terms of accuracy. I’ve tested both Hunter and Rainbird transformers (which are probably the same model as you have), and they both work fine.

frankie75

@ray wrote:

@frankie75: probably both are ok. The no-load voltage voltage is indeed a bit high (especially the 30.2VAC one you measured), but keep in mind that multimeters also vary in terms of accuracy. I’ve tested both Hunter and Rainbird transformers (which are probably the same model as you have), and they both work fine.

I’m pretty comfortable with multi-meters….. I’m an hardware engineer at National Instruments…… I used a 6.5 digit one from my lab.
    Where can I find the schematic of the Ospi board

Ray
    Keymaster

Hardware design files are available on github.com/rayshobby. Here is the direct link to OSPi hardware design files:
    https://github.com/rayshobby/opensprinkler/tree/master/OpenSprinkler%20Pi/hardware

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) 24 VAC Transformer: will I blow the board??