OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler 8 zones + master

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Caleb
    Participant

I have 8 zones in my yard with a master valve in front of the whole thing. My OS3 box only supports 8 zones, so I had combined two of the smaller zones and put master on zone 8, which worked fine. However, I’d prefer to have that water pressure loss back by splitting the two combined zones back out. I have taken 8 diodes (I had some 1N4003 sitting around) and put them between each of the 8 zones and the master. The theory here is to turn on master with each zone. This results in a inrush spike of about 1A but settles back down to about 580mA, which is about the consumption it had before when master + a zone were turned on separately.

This has proven to work for a couple of days, however I would like to know if this is a bad idea. I’ve attached a picture of a breadboarded prototype. I have some PCBs going through fab right now.

When I woke up today I checked the status and the network communication from OS wasn’t very responsive. It couldn’t connect over the app, but going to the IP from a web browser mostly worked. A network error was returned in the status bar (where it shows current zone and current power consumption). Is this potentially an issue I caused?

Attachments:

Caleb
    Participant

Boards’ll be here this week. Guess I’ll find out whether this fries anything then.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler 8 zones + master