OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Beagle (OSBo) Add avahi-daemon to the OSBo install image

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

taiga

I would like to recommend the addition of the avahi-daemon package to a future revision of the OSBo install image. I prefer to access the different embedded Linux systems on my internal network by name rather than by IP address. And I don’t want to set up static IP addresses for each one. I’ve been able to access my white Beaglebone by name since installing it, but I never spent time figuring out why. So when I installed OSBo image on my BBB, I missed having the ability to reference it by name. Some quick Googling came up with avahi-daemon as being the solution. Installing it into the current OSBo image went without a hitch.

Richard

Ray
    Keymaster

I believe the system on the OSBo image is set to register a host name with the router. You can check your router’s configuration page to see the host name. You should be able to access the system using the host name instead of the IP address.

Samer
    Keymaster

Ray, I think the avahi daemon will add support for auto discovery of the web service (and port) and not just the hostname/domain. I think this could be a useful addition as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Beagle (OSBo) Add avahi-daemon to the OSBo install image