OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Anti-Virus prevents access to opensprinkler controller

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bkastel
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

I originally placed a support ticket but found this a problem with my anti-virus program so it’s not OpenSprinkler’s fault. I noticed that since last month I cannot access my OS controller from my desktop computer. I’ve been do this successfully for over a year with no issues. My OS controller’s IP address is fixed and port-forwarded correctly. I can access it from my work computer coming in from the outside just fine. Also both my iPhone and iPad work just fine with both local wifi and external cell service. With a little experimenting I found that on my desktop computer when I turn off the anti-virus protection temporarily, I can get into my OS controller. With anti-virus enabled I cannot.

I am using AVG-Free and have been for years. The latest AVG version 17.3.3443 was automatically installed sometime around May 15th and since then it blocks OS. It gives no popup message just freezes on the OS login page. This is the same on Firefox, Edge, and Chrome – all with the latest releases. Firefox will briefly flash the login page then give a “cannot connect message”. I’ve tried my local 198.xxx.xxx.xxx and ISP assigned address with no success. In my googling I did find reference to the same problem with OS and Avast anti-virus. Avast and AVG have merged and so I’m guessing there is some shared code between the two. I have tried to create on exception to OS URL on the controller but with no success. I don’t know what particular function in OS the anti-virus programs blocks. I do know that on my work computer our firewall blocks dynamic IP services so I must access it with the full IP address and not my no-ip DNS name. My work uses a commercial version of Symantec.

Has anyone else this issue? I’m willing to go with a different, even paid, version of anti-virus but I’m worried that other products will eventually block the same “vulnerability” as AVG/Avast. I’m concerned that this problem will become more prevalent with OS as anti-virus programs update their products to include whatever vulnerability they see with OS.

Thanks,
    Bryan

bkastel
    Participant

Anyone else using AVG with OpenSprinkler?

Ray
    Keymaster

There have been two other forum threads that reported this issue. At the moment we don’t have any spare time to investigate this issue, but if someone could summarize what needs to be done to make it compatible with AVG/Avast we can implement these in the firmware. In the meantime, perhaps you can use your mobile devices like mobile phones, pads, which doesn’t need anti-virus software, to access OpenSprinkler.

bkastel
    Participant

AVG has had an update which I’ve installed. For fun I just checked to see if OS would work and now it does. I don’t know what they changed or allowed but all seems well for now. Yes, I do use my mobile devices more often to access OS but if I’m building a new schedule from scratch a large screen computer and real keyboard is more convenient.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Anti-Virus prevents access to opensprinkler controller