OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Can we have editable program names?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

R88

I received an OS kit earlier this week and soldered it together. So far really I like it, although I’m still testing it.

I’m not sure if this has been asked before, I couldn’t find it on the forum. There was a thing I would like to do a feature request for. This concerns the programs. From a user perspective it would be very nice if we could give those a logical name and not “Program 1″, Program 2”, etc.

I’m planning to use the “Run-one” functionality instead of scheduling, for me that just works better. So I can have a list of programs for different scenario’s. It’s very easy to pick a program from the list, but it would be awesome if I could select the correct program by its logical name.

Would this be possible to add in a future firmware release?

Ray
    Keymaster

Custom program names have been suggested in the past. Also the ability to re-order the list of programs has also been suggested. Both are definitely doable and on my todo list. Program name will probably need to have limited length because it cuts into the EEPROM usage.

R88

Ah, its good it’s on your list (as I can imagine many requests are!). Station names are also limited to 16 characters, so a limitation on that part is not so bad. Concerning the ordering. As a simple workaround you could make it always order alphabetically. When naming programs a couple of naming characters can be sacrificed to define the order, like this:

01-Yard
    02-Garden
    03-Pond refill
    04-Greenhouse

This would avoid the need for an ordering interface and the needed programming. And if ordering is not important to a user, they would look (and order) like this:

Garden
    Greenhouse
    Pond refill
    Yard

Personally I don’t really care about the ordering that much. Having logical names would be more important ergonomically.

rhldr
    Participant

I’m curious if perhaps this should be innovated first in the mobile application, and then added to the firmware down the road. The more I use the mobile application, the more I wish program names were easier to recognize by function (Garden, Back Yard Grass) vs P3, P4.

Samer
    Keymaster

Adding names in the mobile app is somewhat impossible task. If any changes occur not involving that specific mobile app (anther device or without the app) than it would fall out of sync with no reasonable recovery path.

This has to be a full fledged feature before being added to the mobile app. With that said, I know Ray has this on the todo list. Having an additional array with program names (mapping index to name) might make things a little easier (can support both methods without much change versus changing the program array structure).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Can we have editable program names?