OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware cant upgrade to 2.19(4)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

bicmac
    Participant

Hi,

i try to upgrade my OS2.3 System to FW 2.19(4).
    i get following message:

./avrdude -C ./avrdude.conf -c arduino -p m1284p -P /dev/tty.wchusbserial1410 -U flash:w:os_219_4.hex
    -bash: ./avrdude: Bad CPU type in executable

any idea? is that a problem of the downloaded FW file?

Ray
    Keymaster

I have no idea: this doesn’t have to do with the firmware, it has to do with your operating system. I just googled “Bad CPU type in executable” and found mentions of this error in Catalina. You can google it yourself and check solutions.

bicmac
    Participant

its looks loks like that this avrdude is 32 Bit executable. right?

file ./avrdude
    ./avrdude: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [i386:Mach-O executable i386] [ppc:Mach-O executable ppc]
    ./avrdude (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386
    ./avrdude (for architecture ppc): Mach-O executable ppc

macOS Catalina (10.15) dropped support for 32-bit executables 🙁

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

is there any workaround. i guess i`m not the only user which runs MacOS in that version.

bicmac
    Participant

I found a solution. you need to use newer avrdude version.
    I useed that one http://downloads.arduino.cc/tools/avrdude-6.3.0-arduino17-x86_64-apple-darwin12.tar.bz2 and it works.
    You only need to change the command a bit as the conf file is in that zip on different folder.

./avrdude -C ../etc/avrdude.conf -c arduino -p m1284p -P /dev/tty.wchusbserial1410 -U flash:w:os_219_4.hex

maybe Ray can change the documentation for FW updates on MAC and include that informations.

Ray
    Keymaster

Right, it looks like this has to do with Catalina dropping support for 32-bit programs. Yes we will update the instructions shortly. Thanks for reporting.

tfmcbride
    Participant

I’m getting the same error but the documentation has not yet been updated. I see the “solution” found above by Micmac but I don’t understand how to use it. Can you help?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware cant upgrade to 2.19(4)