OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Common Packaging Template

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Pete
    Participant

I [will ultimately] have several OpenSprinkler controllers around my property, two using expansion modules. In working out an appropraite packaging model, the controllers with expansion modules fit relatively neatly into a particular enclosure, along with a power supply if required, if I ‘stack’ the controller, offset to provide access to the wiring connectors, on top of the expansion module (see accompanying photo).

This task was probably made more complicated than it needed to be by the fact that the mounting holes in the base of the controller casing do not quite overlay with those in the base of the expansion module casing. I ‘overdrilled’ the holes in the two bases so that the configuration I had could be mounted, so it’s not as if the bases are so radically different in size that alignment of the holes would be impossible.

My request is simply that, the next time you do any redesign of the packaging, you consider creating bases for the controller and expansion module casings with mounting holes, at least, on a common template. Even better might be to use a common casing for both the controller and the expansion module. They’re pretty close as it is, which is probably the only reason this problem arose in the first place. If the packaging of the two components was significantly different, I could probbaly not have considered doing things as I did.

Attachments:

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, thanks for the suggestion. The expander is slightly (5cm) longer than the main controller, mainly because it needs more space to fit components for 16 zones.

Pete
    Participant

That would be 5mm longer, wouldn’t it? 😉

Ray
    Keymaster

You are right: it’s 5mm longer, not 5cm 🙂 The entire board is only about 5cm long (and 10cm wide).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Common Packaging Template