OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Compatibility with Pi B+?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

JimS
    Participant

Any issues with using the Pi B+? It has more i/o pins and 4 USB. Only about $5 more so might just go for the bigger one. I think the extra I/O pins may be covered up and hard to use.

KanyonKris
    Participant

Yes, the B+ has a 40 pin connector instead of the 26 pin header for B and A. The good news is the pinouts of the first 26 pins of the B+ 40 pin connector are the same as B and A. So if the OpenSprinkler board will physically plug onto the B+, it will make the correct electrical connections.

Just eye balling the B+ it looks like it might connect OK with the OpenSprinkler board, but the only way to be sure is for someone to try it, maybe Ray will.

I think it’s unlikely the B+ will fit into the OpenSprinkler enclosure, and for sure some of the connectors won’t line up with holes.

JimS
    Participant

Thanks but I already figured most of that out. I was looking for a clear yes or no answer.

I looked at the OSPi manual and saw that they had cutouts of some of the connectors on the pi. Since those move on the B+ I am going with the B.

Ray
    Keymaster

I just mentioned a few things about B+ in my reply to another thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=28&t=547&start=20#p5118

The short answer is that the current OSPi v1.4 will not work with B+, unless if you are ok with using ribbon cables to connect B+ to OSPi. Specifically, the extra 2 USB ports are in the way so B+ cannot plug all the way down to OSPi. Also the pin headers are slightly shifted in position so the enclosure can’t close properly. The only way to make this work is to keep B+ out of the enclosure and use a 8pin ribbon cable + 5 pin ribbon cable to make the connection, much like OSPi 1.3.

So a new revision for B+ is due 🙂

djagerif
    Participant

+1 for a new OSPi B+ board.

hespanha
    Participant

Another request for the Pi B+ board. I can’t bring myself to purchase the Pi B for compatibility with OpenSprinkler now that the B+ is out.

Ray
    Keymaster

OSPi v1.4+ prototype has been ordered and should arrive in a few days. If it passes verification, we should have 1.4+ ready to sell in 1-2 weeks.

hespanha
    Participant

I’ve just ordered the Pi B+ board. Thanks!
    Joao

Ray
    Keymaster

Thanks. I am a little behind on announcing OSPi 1.4 B+. We have a small amount of stock available right now, more to come next week. The option has been added to the product page, and user manual has been updated with new pictures showing the B+ version:
    http://rayshobby.net/docs/ospi14_manual.pdf
    I still need to write a blog post announcing it. Should be done this week.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Compatibility with Pi B+?