OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Control Sonoff (for example) rf or wifi switches from OSpi?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

tomalt
    Participant

I want to control some devices where I have an electrical outlet but it’s too difficult to run a wire back to the OSpi. So I’d like to make a station talk to a sonoff switch or similar. They have wifi and rf ones, I’d presumably be best off with an RF transmitter on say Station 1 of the ospi, which would switch on and send the rf signal. At the other end, the sonoff rf version would receive, switch its relay and power the device.

Any suggestions or ways to do this? Is this exactly the sort of thing RFtoy does?

Story behind it: My wife loves the open sprinkler, I’ve added a relay for the water feature and some other things so she can remotely turn on her favourite spot in the garden whenever she wants it. And she can schedule it to be on when she’s most likely going to be in the garden.

I want to add some other garden/courtyard devices & lights, but without digging up the courtyard to run wiring. It’s already got power on the other side of the yard so a sonoff or similar switch seems perfect.

Ray
    Keymaster

RFtoy communicates with RF power sockets like these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wireless-Electrical-Household-Appliances/dp/B0087EIDRS
    it’s not for WiFi power sockets like sonoff. If sonoff has a public HTTP API, you can actually use OpenSprinkler’s HTTP station feature to send command to sonoff to turn it on/off.

It used to be that RF power sockets are much cheaper, because you can often get a packet of 3 for like $20. But these days, with sonoff, the WiFi power sockets are quickly becoming extremely cheap, so RF power sockets are being made obsolete…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Control Sonoff (for example) rf or wifi switches from OSpi?