OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Does the backlight have to stay on?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

fizgig10
    Participant

Seems like kind of a waste. Would be nice if it timed out after awhile.

Ray
    Keymaster

The backlight is hard wired so there is no way to turn it off. It may seem a waste but the power consumption is actually less than 10mA.

The upcoming 2.0 has backlight controlled by PWM so the brightness can be adjusted.

fizgig10
    Participant

10mA? You’re kidding! Wow.

2.0 version is coming out soon? Will there be a solder kit version? The one I just put together was super easy – only took about an hour. Was bummed when I read that you were phasing out the 1.42u as it is so cost effective!

Is there a link that talks about what 2.0 will be like?

Ray
    Keymaster

The backlight is LED-based, and 10mA is enough to make LEDs look really bright.

2.0 will come out soon as assembled (we’ve already distributed a development version to recent users who ordered 1.4s). However, DIY 2.0 will not be available soon, because it has to go with the new injection molded enclosure and we are still waiting for them to come. The current enclosure is too small for DIY 2.0 (which will adopt ATmega644 that is significantly bigger than ATmega328).

ashdavely

I recently put in an order for a diy kit, even though it’s out of stock. After hearing that 2.0 is coming I am wondering if I could get this version? Even if i have to wait a bit…

Ray
    Keymaster

Well, I don’t have an estimate for how long it will take for DIY 2.0 to be ready. I don’t even have prototype DIY 2.0 yet. So it’s up to you whether you want to wait. Also note that the initial 2.0 firmware will be functionally the same as the current 1.4.

ashdavely

No worries then. I will stick with 1.4. Thanks for the heads up on 2.0!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Does the backlight have to stay on?