Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Kevin
    Participant

Hey folks,

I’m new to the OpenSprinkler world. After trying to find a good fit for my irrigation needs, I stumbled onto this system. I am having trouble finding the setting to allow a program to start and end at a certain time of day. I see where I can have a program start but I only see options to repeat every (length) and repeat x times. Am I missing something? I would like to operate say at 9AM, repeat every x seconds every 10 mins until 8PM. Thanks for any input!

Kevin

Ray
    Keymaster

It currently does not support specifying an end time. But based on your description, you can just calculate how many times the program should run: from 9AM to 8PM is 11 hours; if you want the program to repeat every 10 minutes, then it would be 11*60/10 = 66 times (this includes a run at 8PM). Or 65 if you want to exclude 8PM.

Kevin
    Participant

Oh wow, I wasn’t expecting a reply this late in the evening. Thanks Ray! Is this something that you would consider in a future firmware? If not this specifically, maybe display the calculated end time in the program setting window when a repeat number is entered? I think it could be helpful at a glance to see when the program will end without having to switch between Edit program and Preview program. This is just a thought. Nonetheless, thank you for the quick formula for calculating this. It makes it a lot easier. I have to say, I’m impressed with the size and capabilities of this little unit (OS v3.0). Having the web interface and remote access makes it so much easier to work with. I just wanted you to know that I appreciate the work that went into this!

Just another quick question, what is the maximum current rating of the OS v3.0 DC unit operating AC or DC valves? I know a limitation is the available output from the included power supply.

Thanks again!

Kevin

Ray
    Keymaster

This should be easy to add to the app / UI (i.e. providing a feature to easily convert back and forth between end time and number of repeat times).

You asked about the maximum current rating: I assume you are referring to how many valves it can turn on simultaneously? Normally all zones run in sequential manner so no matter how many zones you have only one runs at any given time. In this case the maximum current rating doesn’t matter as only one runs at a time. If you want some zones to run in parallel, then it depends a lot on how much current each solenoid draws and what’s the current rating of the power supply. Assuming the power supply has sufficient current capacity, we’ve internally tested running 4-8 zones simultaneously, but we didn’t test more than that. If you want a significant number of zones to turn on at the same time, you should consider using a relay board connected to OpenSprinkler, to avoid overloading the controller, and allowing you to run as many zones in parallel as you want.

Kevin
    Participant

That sounds like it would be an awesome feature! I have lots of ideas but I won’t overwhelm you, haha.

Yes, I am just curious what the controller is rated for. The main reason I’m asking is so I can stay within the design limits of the controller, per port or overall. Eventually I will be powering OS with a regulated 12VDC supply that is connected to a deep cycle battery pack and solar array. I just want to be 100% certain to keep this unit properly powered and not overload it. I know the Phoenix connectors are rated up to 30A in some cases, but that amount of current would kill the controller. I completely agree on using relays. I know some relays (especially poorly made ones) can have higher current draw than listed in their specs. Down the road, I planned to use a bank of relays for larger valves that have a higher current rating. I’m using Rainbird 24VAC solenoid valves and OS is reporting ~.125mA when energized. At this time, I don’t plan to run more than 4 or 5 valves, possibly at the same time. I’m still putting the finishing touches on the rain collection plumbing. Most of the sprinkler heads are very low flow (.8-2GPH) misting heads and a few in the 120GPH range.

Thanks again, Ray! I really appreciate the info!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.