OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware REGARDING WEATHER CALLS

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Roger
    Participant

System diagnostics tells me that the humidity is 15%, the temperature is 79 degrees, and the precipitation today is 9.58 inches. The last successful weather call was at 8:23:36 today. TO WHERE??? The actual temperature is 55 degrees, the humidity is 40%, and there has been no moisture for at least three days. YOU BROKE IT, NOW FIX IT!

chochy
    Participant

I finally got an auto rain delay activated, and it’s not raining! Check the diagnostic and there’s a recent successful weather call. What is going on?

Samer
    Keymaster

We have pushed several updates to address this now. Could you please let us know if the situation has improved? Thank you!

Roger
    Participant

Much better, maybe. Diagnostics showing mean temp and yesterday’s precip (as today’s), although not accurate for my specific location. However, mean temp and humidity are changing with every weather call, so I’ll end up with the same problem in the middle of the night when the temps drop radically. Don’t yet know if precip changes ’cause we haven’t had any rain since midnight.

Dubious about the Zimmerman calculation, which should be zero but was 57%; just dropped to zero with latest weather call. (I have Zimmerman set to mimic the defaults of temp 70 and humidity 30, each weighted 100 and rain weighted zero.)

Samer
    Keymaster

The diagnostics is not showing the correct data as you indicated, reported here: https://github.com/OpenSprinkler/OpenSprinkler-App/issues/57

We will be fixing this as soon as possible.

Thank you!

bbanjo3
    Participant

Re: 60037 – I see no change. I have an OpenSprinkler App V1.8.5, Firmware 2.1.7, Hardware 2.2 – AC. My “Last Weather Call” shows Fri, 03 May 2019, 12:49:16 (PST). “Last Successful Weather Call” is “–“. Appreciate any help/advice. I have the Zimmerman adjustment method enabled. I formerly had a WU API key, which I understand is no longer used.

Samer
    Keymaster

As my previous reply, the diagnostics are not correctly displayed for the values actually used for the watering value so please disregard this for now.

As for why there is no last weather call, please provide your currently set location.

Thank you!

bbanjo3
    Participant

Hi Samer, RE: 60111 – currently set location is pws:KAZMESA118.

Samer
    Keymaster

We don’t currently support weather stations since our change to OpenWeatherMaps. Please set your location using the map input.

Thanks!

bbanjo3
    Participant

RE: 60115 … I went into the location and updated … all good now!

Roger
    Participant

Zimmerman calculation is incorrect and changes throughout the day, which should only occur if there’s rain. The calculation is supposed to be based on the previous day’s average temperature, average humidity, and total precipitation, plus any precipitation today. If there’s no rain, then the water level should not change from midnight to 11:59 p.m. It’s actually changing with each weather call, which makes it useless in a climate where the night time temps differ radically from the day time temps. Zimmerman is intended to approximate evotranspiration, so that the amount of water applied is reasonably constant across varying weather conditions. The current calculation does not do that, particularly when watering at night. Furthermore, there’s no way that the current weather data source can provide the necessary data unless OpenSprinkler accumulates the data from the hourly weather calls and calculates the averages.

fennsen
    Participant

For all who has the OSPI version – this might help:

Migrated script – weather_level_adj.py – for new Weatherunderground API (OSPI)

protofALk
    Participant

This is so horrible. can I please get my WU weather station data back into open sprinkler. It was the number one reason I got this in the first place. Open weather map is so inaccurate for my location it is unusable (next station is 80km away and rain forecast has not matched once since I monitored it).

fennsen
    Participant

@protofALk

Maybe an approach for you:
    Install the alternative firmware (‘SIP’) if you have the Opensprinkler board on top of a normal Raspberry.
    ,,This is an updated version of the Python Interval Program for OpenSprinkler”
    see https://github.com/Dan-in-CA/SIP

Working flawless since 5 years here and has IMHO much more flexibility as the unified firmware.
    In this firmware You can add my plugin (see seperate topic with the updates) and everything works again with wunderground.

protofALk
    Participant

I am on the 3.0 DC version of opensprinkler not the raspi version :/

Roger
    Participant

I started this thread and am now able to use data from my local PWS for the Zimmerman calculation, thanks to some excellent help. If this is a high priority for you, then I suggest you visit https://github.com/OpenSprinkler/OpenSprinkler-Weather and consider implementing a local weather-server. In my case I managed to feed data from my Davis Vantage Pro2 to a weather-server instance, where it is used to compute the desired water level.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware REGARDING WEATHER CALLS