OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Fresh install, unable to save the Station handling – Station Delay setting

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago by Ray.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

alco
    Participant

Hi,

I’m using the OSPI software for about 1 year now and it works very well for our garden watering system. So many thanks for that!

But now I have a small issue, I upgraded my raspberry PI and installed a fresh copy of the application (2.1.9.(3)) on the RPI.
    Works great again, but one option is not saved to the configuration after setting it.

I attached a printscreen. I want to set the station delay to a few seconds, so I open the setting, adjust it, saved it , submit it. but it isn’t stored in the configuration!

I also checked the filesystem on the OSPI, I see a change in the iopts.dat file (timestamp change) but I can’t read it with notepad++ or so.
    also there is no output on the systemlog (journalctl) of in the logs directory of ospi.

So maybe a small bug somewhere? I’m happy to investigate and help but I don’t know where to start.

Ray
    Keymaster

I am not aware of this being an issue for OSPi, but I will take a look.

Ray
    Keymaster

Ah, ok, I figured out why: station delay time is quantized to every 5 seconds. So if you set a delay time below 5 seconds, it will be rounded to 0. You can set it in multiples of 5.

alco
    Participant

Thanks for your continues support Ray!

I can confirm that your solution worksconfirm that your solution works (screen GIF capture)
    set it to 13 seconds, saved, looked back, 10 seconds 🙂

stephenmw
    Participant

I’m really glad I found this thread because I was starting to think I was losing my mind! I was setting it to 3 seconds and saving, and then coming back to it reset!

Is this a known bug? I think there’s a use-case for using less than 5 seconds.

Ray
    Keymaster

No, it’s not a bug. This is documented in the user manual, it is in granularity of 5 seconds. We have to balance the granularity vs. range — some users wanted extra long station delay time. The firmware uses only 1 byte to store the station delay time (as with all other options too), so we need to make a tradeoff between the granularity and range. Does 3 seconds vs. 5 seconds make that much difference to you?

stephenmw
    Participant

Thinking about this differently today. The problem I am having is making sure my power supply can comfortably handle all of the in-rush current to each solenoid when multiple zones activate simultaneously.

Rather than me trying to micromanage this by using offsets, what if we simply added a small (maybe 100ms) sleep between when opensprinkler activates a zone? This allows inrush current to pass before a new zone opens up, and would otherwise by imperceptible from the user experience.

Putting it behind a flag like “Power Supply In-rush Protection” would be fine, but honestly I think this is probably a good feature to have anyway, especially since anyone using a master pump is always turning on at least 2 zones at once.

Ray
    Keymaster

It can, in fact, for OpenSprinkler latch, it always opens simultaneous zones one after another because latch controller needs to recharge the booster circuit before opening each zone.

What you are asking is different from station delay — station delay only applies for sequential zones, it does not apply to parallel zones. OpenSprinkler is not designed to open a large amount of zones simultaneously. How many zones are you thinking of opening simultaneously? If it’s just 2 zones, I don’t think there is any need to stagger them as the in-rush current isn’t very high. If you are thinking of master zone and a regular zone, please note that there is already a master on adjust parameter, which you can set to either positive or negative, if you want the pump to turn on a few seconds before or after a regular zone.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Fresh install, unable to save the Station handling – Station Delay setting