OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions gsm shield for comunications

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

951calguy
    Participant

Im about to order the diy kit but I wanted to know if its possible and easy to add a gsm shield to the kit instead of using wifi or ethernet because it will be used in a field far away from any internet. Also would like to know about the flow sensor possibility. Thank you in advance.

Ray
    Keymaster

Which GSM shield do you plan to use? Basically it boils down to figure out the interface (SPI? I2C? Serial?) and power requirement (5V? 3.3V? how much current)? If you can post a link to the GSM shield I can tell you better how it can interface with OpenSprinkler.

951calguy
    Participant

I was hoping you could help me with that, I dont needt any specific provider att or tmo would work fine.

951calguy
    Participant

951calguy
    Participant

Thank you, I just got an email saying that my order has been shipped!

951calguy
    Participant

Ray I also found the motorola g24. How hard would that be to interface with the opensprinkler?

Ray
    Keymaster

I took a quick look at some Arduino GSM shields, and I think it’s not straightforward to use them directly with OpenSprinkler. These shields pretty much all use the serial interface, which means the commands and data are all sent through serial. This is different from how OpenSprinkler interfaces with its Ethernet controller, so there will be considerable changes in software to make it work.

951calguy
    Participant

So which other option do I have that uses other than serial? I posted the motorola ones also.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions gsm shield for comunications