OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Interval Program May 4 2014 update available

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Dan in CA
    Participant

This is basically an official release containing several “silent” updates that have occured over the last month.
    As always, update instructions can be found on the wiki:
    http://rayshobby.net/mediawiki/index.php?title=Python_Interval_Program_for_OSPi#Updating_the_program

Changes and bug fixes in this release are:
    1. Program now explicitly sets all valves to off at startup. Fixes a bug that sometimes valves were on at program load.
    2. Fixed a bug that could freeze the program under certain conditions if a station name was blank.
    3. Changing station names would not be updated properly – Fixed.
    4. Changed how ospi.py handles time and date. Changes such as to or from daylight time are now automatic. This uses a different approach than earlier reves of the program and should behave better. Time zone setting in options no longer has an effect.
    5. Plugins must now have group permission set to executable in order to load. Allows plugins to be selectively enabled/disabled.
    6. Removed deprecated “ospi_addon.py” file from program directory.

See the following post regarding the new plugin architecture:
    viewtopic.php?f=28&t=542

Dan

daver

Hi Dan,

Been awhile since I’ve updated–just want to see if there’s any gotchas I’ll run into if I do. First, I’m running 1.2 hardware (I think–clear case, bought it July 2013) with an expansion board.

Firmware version: 1.8.3

Just updated to Samer’s iOS app for front-end control which seems to be compatible with my existing setup. I last did an update to my OSPi directory on Sept 12, 2013.

Should I just do a git pull and reboot from the OSPi directory, or should I be doing other updates first? Just want to make sure I don’t completely hose my Pi server here and then spend hours trying to un-hose it.

Thanks,
    -Dave

Dan in CA
    Participant

Dave,

You should be able to just do a “git pull”. It will not change any of your programs or other settings.
    If you want to be extra cautious you can copy the contents of the data directory to another location outside of /OSPi to preserve your current settings in case the unthinkable happens.

Dan

Samer
    Keymaster

Dave,

Since you mentioned that you’re using my mobile app, I want to point out it can backup your configuration. This can be found in the side panel. This can easily be reimported at a later time, if needed.

Samer
    Keymaster

Dan,

For some reason your Github page lost about 5-6 commits. One of the removed commit’s is my plugin permissions fix. This update no longer loads any plugins, including the mobile app one. This is causing issues for user’s with the app. Is there anyway we can remedy this? Ideally, “system” plugins should be exempt from the permission thing? Because even though we are using the plugin system to implement the API, almost all user’s want/expect it.

Thanks!

daver

Thanks for that Dan and Samer. Sounds like I need to wait to do the pull if there’s some missing commits in there. 🙂 Dan?

Samer
    Keymaster

Dave,

Dan quickly took a look at this and got it fixed this morning. I will do a trial to confirm later today but I am certain it’s all good now.

Thanks!

karmaman

Last night I was using the old interface and version 1.8.3. This morning I switched to the new interface which shows 1.9.0 (did this via the “git checkout JM_UI” command. I can manually turn on sprinklers via my computer but am unable to from the native app on my iPhone or iPad. From those devices I can access and see everything just fine – just can’t turn on/off a zone. When I turn on a zone via the computer, I can see that it’s running on my iPad, but again…can’t take action? Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Samer
    Keymaster

I found the issue. The way the device verifies identity seems odd. I will have to discuss with Johnathon more. Again, as I mentioned earlier, 1.9.0 isn’t officially released and is still being worked on as far as I know. The app only officially works with the master branch of OSPi.

karmaman

I guess I assumed (incorrectly) that the May 4 update was the new one that enabled the new UI to work with the mobile app. Is this not an official release — viewtopic.php?f=28&t=499 ? Or am I mixing the two?

Samer
    Keymaster

Quite frankly OSPi is very confusing. I don’t blame you or anyone for any confusion regarding any of the software. With that said, the May 4 announcement here is NOT regarding the new UI based python interval program. It is for the master branch of the OSPi software using the OLD UI. Furthermore, all changes related to the plugin system are happening on the master branch not the JM_UI branch.

The thread you linked by the way says beta in the post and is followed with many posts regarding issues with the branch. Again, I think it is being developed out still and would stick to the master branch for reliability purposes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Interval Program May 4 2014 update available