OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App iPad/iPhone app 1.7.7 freezes

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

RottenMutt
    Participant

The iPad/iPhone app is freezing when launching app when it is already up. If I kill the running app it will launch, but freezes second time.
    Or start a station manually the stop the station and it usually freezes.

RottenMutt
    Participant

Same when running app on iPhone.

ton
    Participant

Same here. Both iPad as iPhone freeze when app is opened and iPhone / iPad is not used for a few minutes and goes to sleep automatically. All wakes up after opening, except Open Sprinkler….. I can only “repair” that by shutting down and restarting iPad and/or iPhone. Great app, really, but this is so annoying…… thanks for a solution!

Jeremy
    Participant

I’ve been having the same problem since April or May 2018 (when we turned the sprinklers back on. I don’t think it was happening back in Oct. 2017.

Still happening on version 1.7.8

paravis
    Participant

Yep, same here. On iPhone X, not sure if that matters.

But I don’t think the app is frozen, it just isn’t accepting any touch input from the screen.

It seems that it is still running though.

Been doing lots of tests with our irrigation lately because it is getting hot, and the freezing app has been a problem.

Ray
    Keymaster

Is this still an issue? Last time I chatted with Samer, he said this has been fixed. If it’s still happening let us know. Thanks.

Jeremy
    Participant

Yes, still happening.

iPhone 7, iOS 11.4, App version 1.7.8.

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, I will check with Samer again about it. In the meantime, a work-around is to open a web browser and directly type in the IP address of OpenSprinkler — you can access OpenSprinkler either through the mobile app, or directly using a web browser like Chrome.

Samer
    Keymaster

We have had several reports via support and here on the forum of this issue and working towards resolving it. However, reproducing this issue has been difficult. If you can provide any reliable steps to reproduce this it would help tremendously in solving this.

I will update this thread as I gather more information.

Currently, I have verified the app is not doing anything on resume so not sure what would cause it to lock up. One idea I am exploring is moving to WKWebView (currently using UIWebView).

Jeremy
    Participant

I can reliably reproduce the issue. Here’s how:
    1. Start app.
    2. Manually start one station for 5 minutes
    3. With app still on the screen, lock iPhone by pressing power button once.
    4. Wait at least a minute or two.
    5. Unlock iphone by pressing home button/fingerprint reader.
    6. app is still be on screen, but I am unable to press anything.

Samer
    Keymaster

@Jeremy Thank you for that! I can see exactly what you mean now. All click/touch input stops working. However, slide gestures seem to continue to work. This is odd indeed. I will start debugging now, thanks!!

paravis
    Participant

Hey Samer,

For me, it is a little less specific to reproduce. I don’t necessarily have to start any stations. Sometimes just opening the app will have it freeze.

I will mention, I’m on iPhone X, not sure if that makes any difference … but seen a similar issue with another app after they updated it to allow for the larger screen.

I would say that 9 times out of 10, I can get the “freezing” to happen from just normal use. But like Jeremy, letting the screen sleep and then unlocking it back into the app is almost surefire way to do it.

Hope any of that rambling gibberish helps. 🙂

Thanks Samer.

~Laz

Jeremy
    Participant

Great, glad that helped.

btw, I did test with just opening the app, not running a station, and letting it sleep, but it didn’t seem to (reliably) reproduce the issue.

paravis
    Participant

Thanks Jeremy, Samer! Loooking forward to the update!

Samer
    Keymaster

Okay found the issue: It’s due to FastClick library using incorrect values for the timestamps. Here is more detail:

https://github.com/ftlabs/fastclick/issues/549

I am trying out a fix now, if it works we will push this out ASAP.

Thanks!

Samer
    Keymaster

Just to update everyone, from my testing the fix works and is now in review as version 1.7.9. Hopefully this will address the issue however please let me know if anyone continues having the issue after updating.

Thank you for your patience!

Samer
    Keymaster

Version 1.7.9 is now available in the store. Please let us know if it resolves the issue.

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Participant

This update appears to have resolved the issue. I am no longer able to reproduce it with the steps I posted yesterday.

I’ll let you know if it occurs again. Thanks!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App iPad/iPhone app 1.7.7 freezes