OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Is OpenSprinkler right for these requirements?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Rokhead
    Participant

What I would ideally like:
    – 3-4 sprinkler zones
    – each zone is an outdoor waterproof box containing 1 DC latched valve, ESP8266 or similar Arduino/Wifi/Relay setup and a battery (maybe even fed via a small solar panel eventually)
    – one central Raspberry pi inside the house driving the sprinkler schedule

I am running Home Assistant in the home already and would like hooks for that ideally.
    It appears that OpenSprinkler may handle a lot of the coding that would be needed on the Pi side, but probably not on the ESP8266 communication.
    My other thoughts was ESPHome to control the switches and then handle the scheduling with NodeRed for example.

I do not want to rebuild the wheel if something is already out there and geared towards sprinklers.

It seems that all of the DIY sprinkler controllers I’ve seen with OpenSprinkler are relayed to control the zones directly wired via AC or DC.
    I want them all stand-alone wireless and battery powered.

Thoughts?

Ray
    Keymaster

What controller do you anticipate using to control the Latching valve?

Rokhead
    Participant

my prior response is not appearing here (maybe in moderation queue?)

What I said was essentially, I was planning on using a relay board controlled by an ESP8266 (or similar with wifi)

So instead of:
    RaspberryPi/OpenSprinkler -> direct wire -> sprinkler valve
    I would have
    RaspberryPi/OpenSprinkler -> wifi -> ESP board & relay controlling sprinkler valve

Rokhead
    Participant

After reading more on this – I see that your OSBee is similar to what I am looking to do with battery powered ESP board (though probably more than I need) but I like your h bridge implementation over a standard relay.
    However, it seems as if your OSBee board is meant as a stand-alone controller, such that for my requirement of 3 different zones, I’d need 3 different controller instances to maintain, instead of one instance of OpenSprinkler having 3 wireless zones.
    Am I correct in this assumption?

Ray
    Keymaster

You are right that OSBee is a standalone controller with 3 zones. It’s based on ESP8266. You can have the main OpenSprinkler communicate with it via HTTP zone feature — i.e. set one of the OpenSprinkler zones as a HTTP zone, and make use of OSBee’s API to allow main OpenSprinkler to open or close zones on OSBee. Unfortunately at the moment OSBee is out of stock and we do not plan to restock it anymore. So the closest alternative, for latching valve, would be OpenSprinkler Latch.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Is OpenSprinkler right for these requirements?