OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Is there any easy way to monitor OS temperature ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

rjalex
    Participant

Hello there,
    I had to put Opensprinkler + 24v transformer + TP-Link wifi in a largish plastic waterproof box outside in my garden (could not have it indoor unfortunately).

I am worried that the heat generated by the transformer plus the high summer temperatures MIGHT push the air temperature inside the box over 40 deg C possibly putting the electronics at risk.

Is there any way (simple enough for a person with little electronics skills) to add a temperature sensor to Opensprinkler 2.1 (which I bought assembled) and modify the web page (again person with little programming skills and none at all on the Arduino but willing to learn) so it shows the “system temperature” ?

Thanks in advance.

Samer
    Keymaster

You could use a basic wireless thermometer to monitor the air temp of the enclosure.

For the CPU temp I am not sure nor am I sure it is important.

rjalex
    Participant

You mean a local reading only ? Any example of a device that fits your description ?

I originally meant something that could be “read” by the Arduino and added to its internet page 🙂

Thank you very much !

Ray
    Keymaster

There are many different types of temperature sensors, simple ones like MCP9700, more accurate ones like TMP36, DS18B20, and also temperature + humidity sensors like DHT11 and DHT22. Adafruit.com is a good place to look for tutorials on how to use these sensors and sample code. If you are not familiar with programming, this is probably a good starting point 🙂

rjalex
    Participant

Thank you very much Ray !

dpackham
    Participant

What’s a good range for the open sprinkler pi board? Mine runs at 149f all summer in an in closure.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

bradl001

Good question. I’ve just started running mine and the temperature is holding between 58 and 60 degrees Celsius. That seems a little hot for being late in the evening where the device is in the garage.

Unless this is normal, my probably course of action is to remove the cover and hack in a small fan. 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions Is there any easy way to monitor OS temperature ?