OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Last Weather Call Days Ago

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

bpasker
    Participant

My water level continues to be 0% despite not having rain for multiple days. When I select the menu -> Weather Diagnostics I see the last weather call of May 28th. Any specific logs I can check to see why I don’t have a more updated call? I confirmed my underground key is still showing green under weather control.

Ray
    Keymaster

Can you clarify if it’s the ‘last weather call’ or ‘last successful weather call’? The ‘last weather call’ indicates when the controller sends out the request, and ‘successful weather call’ indicates when it received the weather data.

bpasker
    Participant

These are the specifics.

Last Weather call: The, 28 May 2015 14:17:59
    Last Successful Weather Call Wed, 27 May 2015 14:46:25

As an fyi.. I am running:

App Version 1.4.2
    Hardware Version: OSPI
    Firmware: 2.1.4

These logs don’t seem to show any great detail. Let me know of I can gather better data.
    /home/pi/OpenSprinklerGen2/logs

Ray
    Keymaster

Hmm, this is definitely strange, because it’s not only ‘last successful weather call’ is falling behind, but also ‘last weather call’ is falling behind. This means the firmware is not even making the requests.

Looking through the code (https://github.com/OpenSprinkler/OpenSprinklerGen2/blob/master/main.cpp#L579), there are a few conditions where the controller would not send the weather call:
    1) a program is running currently (but no program can run for longer than 18 hours, so this is unlikely the condition).
    2) the last successfully received weather call is more than 24 hours ago, in which case it will trigger a network re-connection instead of making further weather calls. I just realized this is actually a bug, since once this condition happens, it will never make a weather call again. However, for this to happen in the first place, the controller has not successfully received any weather call (which was sent every 30 minutes) for 24 hours, and this is certainly an unusual situation. In any case, this is definitely a bug that should be fixed.

For now I suggest you restart RPi or at last restart the firmware.

bpasker
    Participant

Restarting the OSPI now has the last weather call as Tue, 01 Jun 2015 20:17:18 but the Last successful is showing as Thr, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00

Can you clarity what you mean by restart the firmware?

navy2x
    Participant

I came here to post this same problem, with my last successful weather call being on May 27th. A reboot fixed the problem though. I attached before and after reboot screenshots for debug purposes.

bpasker
    Participant

OK, It looks like it has now returned to normal without taking any additional action… interesting. Would love to have more detail as to what was failing.

Any way I can turn on more logging to debug in the future?

I have attached a screenshot of my weather diag now showing normal and a 33% Water Level.

Thanks,
    Brandon

bpasker
    Participant

Ray,

I was looking at my log and based on this comment on your post I’m wondering if it was my rain sensor.

1) a program is running currently (but no program can run for longer than 18 hours, so this is unlikely the condition).

I’ve attached an image showing my rain sensor “ran” for 2 days 22 hrs. Could this be the cause?

Brandon

LuckyLuke
    Participant

Hello together,

Last weekend I installed my own OpenSprinkler-System here in Switzerland with 6 Gardena-valves.
    In general I’m happy and impressed about the possibilities and the GUI, congratulation!

The only problem seems to be the weather update. First it worked fine, around every hour, but then stopped to update. The screenshot shows the difference. The system reports the actual query time but there is no answer. After 24 hours the date changed to 1970…
    After restarting OpenSprinkler everything works fine.
    Ping from the BeagleBone also worked fine.

What else can I check, when the failure appears?

Thank you and best regards, Lukas

Samer
    Keymaster

Hi Lukas (and everyone else with this issue),

There was a bug discovered in firmware 2.1.4 that prevented the controller from correctly updating the weather data. This has been fixed and released in firmware 2.1.5. Please upgrade by following the guide here: https://opensprinkler.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000381694-update-opensprinkler-firmware-with-downloads-

Thanks!

LuckyLuke
    Participant

Hi Samer,

Thank you for the quick response!

It seems, that I installed 2.1.5(1) already…
    How can I debug the weather update query/response?

Best regards, Lukas

Ray
    Keymaster

You are right that you are already on the most recent version of the firmware. Do you know how long the issue occurs after each reboot? On the microcontroller-based OpenSprinkler, there is a feature that reboots the controller when the last successful weather call is more than a day old. This is not implemented for OSPi, partly because RPi will manage the network connection, partly because rebooting RPi is a lot more disruptive than rebooting a microcontroller. Knowing the patterns of the issue (like how long does it take to occur and so on) will help us find way to diagnose.

LuckyLuke
    Participant

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your response.

Attached you will find the current screenshot.
    Yesterday I posted at 22:24, then it made another successful update at 22:53 and then stopped again.
    So it was either 1 or 2 updates only…

Interesting that the request seems to be correct, last today at 08:53 (now it is 09:45)

Thank you for your effort in such a nice project!

Best regards
    Lukas

radas
    Participant

Is it true, OS does not update weather data during running program?
    I’m using remote socket for garden light, it runs almost all night, so weather data is not updated?

Samer
    Keymaster

@radas Correct, when a program is running the controller will forgo network polls such as weather updates. The relevant line of code preventing the weather update when a station is running is contained in one line, here: https://github.com/OpenSprinkler/OpenSprinklerGen2/blob/master/main.cpp#L588. You are welcome to disable it for your use case however the reason we are doing this is to ensure the program runs uninterrupted. We will consider changing this condition in the future but for now as we roll out this relatively new featureset we want to ensure it works without interrupting any scheduled programs.

As soon as the program stops though, the check_weather function will be called and since the time since last check has drifted, it will update immediately after a program run.

HFTobeason
    Participant

I’m having a similar issue. Water Level stuck at 18%, despite a massive rainstorm over the past several days. Also note Last weather call is 1970. Running 2.1.5 firmware. Rebooted a few times. Any help most appreciated. Thanks. Screen shots attached.

HFTobeason
    Participant

I’ve fiddled around with my location setting — I think perhaps the Weather Underground station OS was polling wasn’t returning accurate rain data. I’ve now chosen what seems to be a more “official” station (KMAHYANN3), and I’m seeing water level 0%, which is what I expect right now.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Last Weather Call Days Ago