OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) messed the install on my PI

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

tom
    Participant

I tried to upgrade to the latest OSPI version. The install process ran to completion, but it didn’t appear when I looked at it from my phone… I finally realized that I had two different directories, one called OpensprinklerGen2 and another OpenSprinklerGen2 (note the lower case s). Then I noticed that the install put another OpenSprinklerGen2 folder inside the OpensprinklerGen2 directory. So, I did “mv /home/pi/OpenSprinklerGen2/ /home/pi/oldsprinkler” to save the whole directory, and then did a fresh install, which ran OK, too. But I can’t get the OSPI to start up…

What do I need to do to do a fresh install and just start over? or patch whatever I messed up so far.

Samer
    Keymaster

What do you mean the installer? Right now we instruct users to do a git clone for new installs and to perform a “git pull” to update. It shouldn’t create another directory.

Can you let us know what procedure you followed to upgrade?

Thanks

tom
    Participant

Thanks…

I’m a little confused as to what I did, particularly with the two spellings of the directory name 🙂

the first time, I did the git pull and the build. it worked fine, but didn’t change the behavior of the program. then I discovered the second directory, and did another git pull and build. still no change, even after reboot.

so I moved the directory over to another name, and did a fresh git clone, which created a new OpenSprinklerGen2 folder. but I don’t see it running when I try to access the site via URL. (I was using another port number in the old installation, but presume that the new install won’t use it.)

how can I tell from the command line if Open Sprinkler is running?

tom
    Participant

OK, I got it resolved… the Opensprinkler.sh in /etc/init.d didn’t get cleaned out when I removed the directory, so it was pointing elsewhere.

and I figured out that “top” shows me the process as opensprinkler. duh.

Samer
    Keymaster

We want to badly build a new install script that can be used for any Pi owner to install or update the program.

Basically: you run a command such as the one to install homebrew for OS X. Then it scans for all types of sprinkler software we know and presents them to you saying which ones it can upgrade or which conflict (due to same port), etc. Or it finds nothing and walks you through the install. The install will also include things like certifying DNS and that RTC is working, etc.

Basically a nice vision just need time to execute. I’m a little weak with bash scripting but maybe I can just use a different language and whip this up soon. It should make the process less confusing and more importantly less dependent on distribution of images. Instead use the Pi image and guides for initial setup then run our script, done.

We just finished redoing the updater for Arduino so soon hopefully after 2.1.6 is out.

tom
    Participant

I’m wondering if Docker might help out https://www.docker.com/whatisdocker

I would be happy with just some manual documentation as to what is being set, and where. I found it by looking at the .sh script.

I’m happy to have new features, though 🙂

I noticed from your web page that you had done some image work. I am looking for a way to easily take timelapse “sprinklercam” shots of what I’m sprinkling. Just another way for closing the loop. It would be nice to integrate the log with the image stream (and weather info).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) messed the install on my PI