Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Spencer
    Participant

I have an OpenSprinkler DC (current version) which I bought as I only have access to DC power.
    My site is a long way from anywhere but does get a reasonable mobile phone signal.
    What I would like to do is to use the tethering feature on an old Android smartphone phone I have as the internet access for the OpernSprinkler unit.
    Tethering works on the phone today as I have tested it as a mobile hotspot with my laptop.

Initially I thought of using Bluetooth or WiFi to connect the OpenSprinkler to the mobile but then noticed the power consumption and the impact it may have on my valves.
    I then thought, how about USB tethering…
    I have ordered a USB converter that would allow me to connect my USB Mini phone plug to my OpenSprinkler but thought I would check here to see if anyone has already done this, or tried it and failed?

I assume that I would need some config on the OpenSprinkler to recognise that the internet is accessible via the USB port etc. How do I make config changes?

By having a camera in my polytunnel I can also remotely request a photo to check for sprinklers being active or plant health.

Spencer

Ray
    Keymaster

The USB port is connected to a USB-serial chip. It’s currently only used to update the firmware. Note that OpenSprinkler DC is not a USB-host device (and does not run a Linux system). If you plug in a USB WiFi adapter or something like that, it’s NOT going to recognize it.

You mentioned the Bluetooth and WiFi’s “power consumption and the impact it may have on my valves.” I am quite surprised: how much power does Bluetooth or WiFi consumes, to the point that they will impact the valves?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.