OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware My issue -the controller changed IP address and Wifi on its own. Help please.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Poormonkey
    Participant

I have my Open Sprinker with Hardware version 3.2, firmware 2.2.0(1) with built-in WiFi running for about 10 days now. Last night we finally got some rain and when I went to access the sprinkler webpage, like I normally do, I couldn’t access the open sprinkler controller. So, I went outside and looked (B1) at the controller and I noticed it said it was connected to the wifi, but the ip address was now 168.xxx.xxx.xxx However, that isn’t the iP address scheme that I run. Mine is 192.168.1.xx

We didn’t have any power losses on the main router or the AP wasn’t rebooted or anything like that. The reason I purchased open sprinkler is because I need wifi access to the sprinkler when I am not at the house. So, I am a little concerned now about this, because I had to manually get involved to get this working again.

The following is my network setup:

Main router – Zyxel C3510XZ (it been running for about 2 years now) 192.168.1.1
    Access Point – Orbi SXR80 192.168.1.2 Main Orbi hardwired to the main router. satellite Orbit is wifi back-haul.

Main router and Access Point have different SSID names. But they do both have similar naming. Main is say ‘Home_2g’ The AP is ‘Home_Orbi2g’

The sprinkler controller is connected directly to the Main router Wifi.
    Open Sprinkler has a static DHCP IP address assigned from the MAC address of the controller. 192.168.1.71

I am totally dumb founded on how the sprinkler controller went to a 168.xxx.xxx.xxx My guess is a neighbor has their public wifi open for their comcast, and some how the controller connected to it. I have only ever configured the sprinkler controller to connect to my Wifi network and nobody elses. So, I don’t know if the controller retains any of the Wifi passwords onboard or not.

This is the interesting part, I power cycled the sprinkler controller and that didn’t fix the issue. Then I did the B3 and B2, and reset the wifi. I added the wifi back to my existing wifi network. It accepted it on the controller but the controller always said ‘connecting’. The only way I could get the controller to connect again was I powered cycled my main router and then powered cycled the sprinkler controller.

I read on the forum about using the :>reboot Is this the only way to try and patch this issue? Is there something else that can be done to make this more reliable?

https://opensprinkler.com/forums/topic/my-open-sprinkler-has-been-having-trouble-connecting-lately/page/3/

My ping rates to the controller are not that bad.
    Reply from 192.168.1.71: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.1.71: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.1.71: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.1.71: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.1.71: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.1.71: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.1.71: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=255

Thank you…..

Attachments:

Poormonkey
    Participant

I just wanted to give an update. After reading back through some older posts on the forum. Someone suggested doing a dhcp reservation in my router (which I did orignally) and not leaving the controller on DHCP. Change the controller to static IP, the same IP the router has reserved for the controller. Since, I have made this change, it has worked very well and that the problem I was experiencing went bye bye.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware My issue -the controller changed IP address and Wifi on its own. Help please.