Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

DasGrinch
    Participant

Got my kit this afternoon, finished putting it together, when I turn it on, for the first minute or so it’s okay, the buttons work, everything seems fine.  Then the network symbol changes into an arrow pointing diagonally, and the buttons stop responding.  It’ll flash to the three or four bars and then back to the arrow for a minute.  I can’t find the meaning of the arrow anywhere in the manual, the light on the ethernet ports are blinking up a storm so I figured it was some sort of communication going on.  Any ideas?

Ray
    Keymaster

The first thing to check the status of the green and orange LEDs on the Ethernet jack. The green LED should be constant on, and orange LED blinking occasionally. If not, you should check whether you have soldered all pins on the Ethernet jack, and check whether you have plugged in the ENC28J60 chip correctly.

DasGrinch
    Participant

The green light is constant, the orange light is blinking non-stop.  I show an ethernet link on my network switch.  The chip is oriented correctly, and I’ve gone over my soldering with a magnifier, I can’t find any shorts on any connectors.  When I unplug the ethernet cable, the buttons start working again.  It’s almost like once it’s connected to the network it’s spending all it’s clock cycles trying to communicate.  I’ve plugged into a different switch, and tried different patch cables as well.

DasGrinch
    Participant

Well that’s an odd one. I brought it home and hooked it into my home network, and it works fine.  It does not operate on my office network.  I’m wondering if it’s the IP scheme we use at work, or the network topology itself.  It was able to grab an IP , get the NTP information, and set the time.  After that it just freaks out.  I can’t say it’s the network hardware, I connect about a dozen computers a week up to my network for repairs and none of them have ever had an issue like this.

I notice there’s no subnet mask to set, is that automatic based on your IP/gateway?  Or does it not use one at all?  I’m wondering if it’s picking up the network traffic from every subnet in the office network and just flipping out.

Ray
    Keymaster

Samer saw your post, and brought it to my attention that the firmware code does not handle netmasks other than 255.255.255.0. Are you using DHCP or static IP? I know for sure that the static IP option does not give you a way to modify netmasks, which is very likely the cause of the issue you’ve seen. However, I assume the DHCP library we are using should handle that automatically. Do you know if your office network use a netmask other than 255.255.255.0?

DasGrinch
    Participant

I was setting up the static IP to test when I noticed the subnet mask thing.  I work at an internet provider, so the network can get a little convoluted, it might just not be running afoul of that.  Would the logs show what it was doing when it’s not responding to the buttons?  I could throw a microsd card in and let it record some.

Ray
    Keymaster

The log doesn’t keep track of network events/issues. One thing we know for sure is that when using static IP, the firmware assumes the netmask is 255.255.255.0, so it doesn’t give you the option to change netmask. This can be easily fixed. I wanted to ask you about the netmask of your office network, in order to confirm whether this is indeed the cause of the issue.

On the other hand, the DHCP should work — i.e. if you try the controller at office with DHCP, does it still not work?

DasGrinch
    Participant

The network segment I’m on is a 10.105.0.x network, with a 255.255.255.0 subnet.  My gateway is within that subnet.  It exists as part of a larger 10.x.x.x network, but that shouldn’t matter.

Ray
    Keymaster

To make sure we are on the same page: did you try DHCP at office? If not, is it because your office network does not offer DHCP? The arrow displayed on the LCD means the controller is trying to reach the gateway. If it takes more than half a second, that means it can’t reach the gateway. So the first thing to check is whether the gateway IP is indeed correct. If you’ve used DHCP, you shouldn’t need to bother with it since the gateway IP would be automatically obtained through DHCP.

DasGrinch
    Participant

I have tried DHCP and Static on two different subnets of the network here.  The gateway is correct.  In fact, the device will actually set the NTP time, so it has internet access, it’s just once it starts normal operation it seems to no longer be able to reach the gateway and it spends all it’s time in a loop.  I’m pretty much baffled, the only thing I haven’t tried yet is setting it up on a switch so that I can use wireshark to monitor its network traffic, which I’ll probably do next week when I have some time.

Ray
    Keymaster

One possibility is that the firmware sends requests periodically to query weather, and it’s possible that the incoming packets from the weather script are being blocked by your network. Not sure what the cause is, but I’ve seen one or two cases in the past that this happens, and the controller stops responding while waiting for weather result. However, it will become responsible again when the call expires.

DasGrinch
    Participant

That’s certainly a possibility, I have two layers of NAT and a firewall to go through to get to the internet, if the response to the weather data comes in on a different port than the request, it’s gonna get kicked out by the firewall.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.