OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler New user question – solar/latching solenoids

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

datalbot
    Participant

Hi there

I’m starting from scratch so there’s no need to integrate into an existing setup.

I’d love to power the OS3 from solar but am trying to decide:

A) latching or ‘regular’ DC solenoids (are there significant advantages one over the other, particularly with my solar preference in mind?) The attached (latching) has some appeal but a more modular standard setup would perhaps be more flexible?

B) whether anyone can advise on battery type/capacity and necessary solar panel/controller for either/both latching and standard valves.

Ray
    Keymaster

The best option is probably OpenSprinkler 3.0 Latch, which operates latching solenoid valves. Due to WiFi, it still draws a fair amount of current (like 100 to 200mA) so it’s not meant for battery operation without any re-charging settings. However, if you have a solar charged battery it should be feasible.

The other option is OS Bee, which is a smaller controller also for latching valves — it operates only 3 zones so is good for small-size projects.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler New user question – solar/latching solenoids