OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Newbie questions/which hardware do I need, e.g. what are the differences?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

inte
    Participant

Hello,

just came across your project and I really like it.
    However, I’m unsure which devices I need to set up the sprinkler system.
    I guess I want to start with 3-4 sprinklers which should be controlled by the system. I also want to connect a rain sensor and, when applicable, maybe a soil moisture sensor.
    I also want to add an additional valve which should be manually controlled, like if I need it I just want to activate it (maybe through a remote switch). The normal program should be suspended during that time. I didn’t find anything about this setting neither in the FAQs nor in the forum, but I think this could be a quite common setup? Is it possible at all?
    I’m also thinking about connection my garage door to the device.
    If possible, I also would like to measure the amount of water used (in total). Logging would also be nice but can be forwarded to my OpenWRT router.
    Now, there are several different devices – the OpenSprinkler, the OpenSprinkler DC, the OpenSprinkler Pi Plus, the OpenSprinkler Beagle and the OpenSprinkler Bee.
    According to https://github.com/OpenSprinkler/OpenSprinkler-App, an “OpenSprinkler Arduino” seems to exist as well, but I couldn’t figure out what that is?
    I understood that the Rasperry Pi version does not have analog pins out-of-the box and can therefore not interface with external sensors. I presume that the Opensprinkler Beagle is capable of handling external sensors since this restriction is not made in the description?
    I also understood that the Opensprinkler/Opensprinkler DC comes with buttons and an LCD screen, while neither the Beagle nor the Raspi-version feature that. I only wonder if this could be added since they use the same housing anyways?
    After all, by now I was thinking about getting a Openspinkler DC since it should suit my needs best. Based in Europe, I only wonder if I could get a european plug or if I will still need an adapter? I also wonder if there is a DIY kit available?
    Regarding the dedicated (maybe remote) switch for manual use of a valve: I read that the bottom button of the Opensprinkler DC could be utilized to start a (test-)program. My initial idea was to make a test program which simply opens the valve for like 30min or sth., and then restarts the normal program. Would that be possible?
    Many questions, I’m quite new to the field of Raspi, Beagle and stuff, but being a Linux enthusiast for 15+ years I’m not afraid to handle the software side:)
    Thanks in advance!

Chris

inte
    Participant

Getting a bit more confused…
    After further reading I found a mention in the blog that DIY-products will be discontinued. Ok, fair enough, so HW-rev 2.1u seems to be the last version available,
    Searching in the forums I found that the relay functions was removed in rev 2.3 and is not available in the DC version. Sad.
    Reading the OsPi manual I learned that the recent OsPi-version seems to feature analogue ports for humidity sensors e.g. now, so the website is obviously outdated.
    Searching the forums I found some threads discussing the LCD screen for the OsPi, so it seems possible.
    However, I guess I will go for the DIY-AC-variant then, seems to fullfill my needs.
    I only wonder if it was not only possible to add a 433Mhz transmitter (e.g. to control sth.) but also a receiver, e.g. to receive a signal for opening a valve on demand (as I pointed out in my previous posting).
    EDIT: OK, this seems possible. But is it also possible to connect both, a transmitter AND a receiver?
    Thanks in advance regarding the other questions!

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, you asked a lot of questions. I don’t think I can answer all of them at once, so let me start with some:

– In case you haven’t checked this out, we have a table that compares our main OpenSprinkler products:
    https://opensprinkler.com/faq/#technical

– The ‘Arduino-based’ OS refers to the microcontroller-based OS (current version is 2.3, either AC or DC version).

– The built-in relay has been discontinued on all OS products. If you need to use a relay, you can follow this blog post:
    https://opensprinkler.com/using-24v-ac-relays-with-opensprinkler/
    to get a 24VAC relay and connect it to OS externally. 24VAC relays are pretty inexpensive.

– OS DIY kit has been discontinued. We recently bought back a small batch of DIY 2.1u kits from MicroCenter (because MicroCenter does not want to carry discontinued products), that’s why there are a few made available you can purchase on http://rayshobby.net/cart. There are only a few kits left, and once this is gone, there is no more DIY kit.

– OSPi has a built-in PCF8591 4-channel ADC, which you can use to interface with analog sensors.

– It’s possible to connect both a 433MHz transmitter and receiver. Just solder some wires from GPIO pins. You do need to modify the source code to customize your need. The board has mapped out three pins to fit a transmitter, because the OpenSprinkler firmware supports radio-frequency stations. I am not sure why you would want to connect a receiver, but as I said, you can always solder some wires to connect external components. The firmware is open-source and you can modify it anyway you want.

inte
    Participant

Hello Ray,

I’ve already ordered one of the DIY kits you still have in stock.
    I understood those still come with a relay so I will be fine 🙂
    My order will probable need some time for shipping and customs, and I will have to build it as well, so I guess I will be back here in a couple of month to ask for assistance on how to connect the RF modules…
    I decided for the Opensprinkler over the OsPi because I think I won’t need (another) full featured Linux box on my network which I have to keep updated with security updates.
    My Idea with the 433Mhz receiver is to mount a RF switch next to a water outlet which I can use to open/close the corresponding valve. I would consider that a quite common scenario, or what would you think?
    Thanks,

Chris

Ray
    Keymaster

If I understand it correctly: you have a RF switch and you would like to use that to open/close valves through OpenSprinkler, hence you need the receiver, is that right? You will need to know the encoding pattern of your RF switch. If it’s compatible with common RF power sockets, you can look at the Arduino RC-switch library (https://code.google.com/p/rc-switch/). In general you will have to reverse engineer and figure out the RF switch signals in order to decode it. I’ve written a series of blog posts in the past about reverse engineering wireless sensors:
    http://rayshobby.net/reverse-engineer-wireless-temperature-humidity-rain-sensors-part-1/
    the same methods can be used to reverse engineer other signals in general.

inte
    Participant

Hello Ray,
    connecting humidity or soil moisture sensors is also a great idea.
    I hope you will include patches for the devices you connected at one point that it will become easy to implement for all users!
    Cheers,
    Chris

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Newbie questions/which hardware do I need, e.g. what are the differences?