OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests no more free Wunderground API key?

This topic contains 49 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Ray 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author

marco.foletto
    Participant

Hi,
    I have just tried to erase the Wunderground API key from my Opensprinkler configuration due to the changes on the API service (I already had an API key when there was the announcement of the changes, so Wunderground is someway and sometimes still working for my system, but I would like to change to follow the next default OS weather adjustment configuration), but since when I did it I’ve experienced the behavior described by Ottorino and Jamba in replies #50739 and #50895.

So, I intend that now the default behavior of the Zimmerman weather adjustment method is to stop all the programs running in the nighttime, when the water level is always 0%.
    Is it a desirable behavior? I’ve always made my irrigation during the nighttime but now, with these system limitations, I have to choose between this two choices:
    – using the Zimmerman weather adjustment method (and program the irrigation just in the daytime);
    – keeping on irrigating during the nighttime (but without the useful adjustments of the Zimmerman method).

Is it planned any action to avoid this situation and this choice?

Bye

victoria.gardner
    Participant

Just so that you know: API keys for PWS non-commercial users are going to continue to allow the PWS owner access to all their data. There may be another gating mechanism (rather than keys) in the future, but there is no plan to discontinue PWS access.

The latest information may be found on https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/weatherapi

Lack of a key should not limit anyone from adding a new PWS as well. See https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/signup?new=1

Thank you!

Victoria Gardner
    [email protected]
    Weather Underground API customer service

GregoryNeefs
    Participant

Can someone please post an instruction what to do?

Is removing the API key enough to get weatherdata from OWM?
    The field in OpenSprinkler is saying: We use OpenWeatherMap normally however with a user provided API key the weather source will switch to Weather Underground

How can my unit see where it is located if I remove this API key? Because the API key now contains the location via Wunderground.
    Or am I wrong? I’m scared of deleting the API key… 🙂

marco.foletto
    Participant

@gregoryneefs In my experience, removing the Wunderground API key is enough to get weather data from OWM, anyway I keep on having the same problems described by Ottorino and Jamba in replies #50739 and #50895. The settings about the location of the Opensprinkler unit are in the “Edit Option” page, in the “System” section. I erased the Wunderground API key some time ago and I get weather data and forecast information related to the location I configured in this section.
    Bye.

Marco

Ray
    Keymaster

“removing the Wunderground API key is enough to get weather data from OWM” — correct. Just remove the WU API key and the weather service will automatically switch to us OWM data.

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests no more free Wunderground API key?