OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Opensprinkler 3.0 eats power supplies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jnadler
    Participant

Ok, Had two opensprinkler v2.3 (DC) with one dying in like 6 months. Replaced the dead one with an opensprinkler v3.0 (DC) which has done pretty good however it has recently started eating power supplies. The power supply supplied with the unit died, was replaced, and now we are on power supply #6 within the last 6 months. Tried running less valves (thinking the load was to much), tried running each valve independently, however it just keeps killing power supplies. Any suggestions would be certainly appreciated.

Ray
    Keymaster

Have you tested your solenoid valves to see if there may be a shorting? Most DC power adapters have built-in overcurrent protection, and can withstand a lot of abuse. I can’t imagine how the controller itself can ‘eat’ power supplies as you described. Are you using 7.5V DC power adapter, or something else?

cuteboi
    Participant

I’ve seen power supplies die because they lack overcurrent protection. If there’s a short, that would cause the power supply to just burn out with a nasty smell. Only happens with the non-regulated power bricks I purchased from China/Ebay. really cheap. really dead.

BinaryOS
    Participant

I’m thinking a review of your circuit protection is in order & best double check you have things sized right. Other than that are they (cheap) nasty power supplies?

Ray
    Keymaster

@BinaryOS: the circuit design files are all available on Github:
    https://github.com/OpenSprinkler/OpenSprinkler-Hardware

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Opensprinkler 3.0 eats power supplies