OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware opensprinkler freezes – front yard dies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author

bigmoo
    Participant

I have a pre-release version 2.0 (came in the clear box) and it had worked flawlessly for months. After updating to firmware 2.0.4 it now randomly locks up and remains that way until it is power cycled. When it “freezes” none of the buttons work, it is unreachable via network, and the LCD screen is frozen on (presumably) the time it all went bad (most recently last night at 2:30am). Worst of all, nothing gets watered! Wondering if i should just downgrade back to the older firmware that worked… Also, possibly unrelated, the clock seems to be running fast and I’m pretty sure it is NOT able to sync via NTP. (It has frozen with NTP on and off so I don’t think that is causing my problems). Not sure if it matters but it is connected via ethernet to an apple airport extreme…

Thanks,
    Eric

Ray
    Keymaster

Hi Eric,

I am really sorry to hear that. Right now I can’t think of any obvious reason why the firmware upgrade would cause it to freeze. The fact that it freezes probably indicates that it’s having trouble connecting to the network (and thus spending most of the time establishing connections instead of responding). So my first question is: is it able to get a valid IP address? and can you see from the LCD screen (the little WiFI-style icon) whether it’s connected or disconnected? One difference in firmware 2.0.4 is that the software-defined Mac address has changed. I am wondering if this may have caused some trouble.

I also suggest trying to turn the ‘Auto Reconnect’ option to No — if the controller doesn’t freeze any more, then the problem is due to issues connecting to the router; if the controller still freezes, the the problem is somewhere else.

A support email has been sent to you. Please see the instructions therein. Thanks.

bigmoo
    Participant

This part got me thinking:

One difference in firmware 2.0.4 is that the software-defined Mac address has changed. I am wondering if this may have caused some trouble.

I have given it a static IP which was reserved in my router via the OLD mac address. I have a feeling that might be what caused it to get stuck trying to reconnect… I updated my airport to the NEW mac address; hopefully that fixes things…

lorenzo

I seem to be experiencing a similar problem:
    mine hung a couple of times with the same symptoms: no network, unresponsive to button press, display on.
    The second time it could have coincided with my ethernet switch loosing power for an hour or so.
    I also have “auto reconnect” enabled.

If the problem is some kind of tight loop, is it possible to workaround it with a watchdog?

More info:
    – OpenSprinkler v2.1u
    – firmware 2.0.4

lorenzo

One more data point to add to my case: I tried with the “reconnect” option off and it still freezes.
    It seems to hang after a few hours it restart it.

Ray
    Keymaster

The freezing problem is usually because the controller cannot ping the server or is having trouble performing NTP sync. So here are my suggestions:
    go to options, and turn NTP sync off, Auto reconnect off, also set DHCP off, instead, use a static ip (make sure the ip is compatible with your network, and make sure you set the correct gateway ip as well, i.e. your router’s ip).
    See if these help eliminate the freezing problem.

HFTobeason
    Participant

I am also experiencing this issue. Brand new hardware (assembled), firmware 2.0.4. The unit will, at apparently random intervals – usually less than 12 hours, sometimes less than an hour – freeze. The only sign of life is the orange LED on the ethernet port, which is flickering. The green LED on the ethernet port is on solidly. The display is frozen at the last time prior to the freeze. The unit is utterly unresponsive otherwise. I will try the suggestions above and report.

[EDIT] DHCP has always been static, but NTP has been on, and Auto Reconnect has been on. Also – the unit is connected via ethernet to a DSL router/modem. The internet connection is dodgy at best – and slow.

Ray
    Keymaster

@HFTobeason : can you turn off NTP sync and Auto Reconnect and try again?

For users who encountered freezing issues: try to turn NTP sync off and Auto Reconnect off as suggested above, and see if this solves the problem. It’s important to find out what’s causing the freezing, as this is not something we have been able to reproduce on our side. Being a small, open-source team, we don’t have the resources to do comprehensive testing, so we have to rely on users to do various experiments to find out the cause of the issue. If the NTP sync or Auto Reconnect turns out to be the culprit, the implementation can definitely be improved. Thanks!

HFTobeason
    Participant

I turned off NTP and Auto Reconnect yesterday afternoon, and have NOT had a freeze since then. However, at the same time, I also deleted ALL schedules. I am adding schedules back now.

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, that’s for the update. Good to know that turning off NTP and auto connect helped.

HFTobeason
    Participant

As of this morning, the unit has been running schedules without a hiccup ever since I disabled NTP and Auto Reconnect. When I get back to the house, I will try re-enabling one option at a time to see which is causing the problem.

I have this same problem. I’m using the latest firmware 2.06 in hopes that it would help. It did not, system freezes solid. This all seems to have happened after I went from 2.0 to 2.01. 2.0 was rock solid and never had issues. Although could be coincidence. Perhaps the hardware is failing for me?

I did notice in the new 2.06 that when its frozen a new little arrow shows on the screen in place of the network bars. Buttons are non-responsive. All I can do is reboot.

I have the newer Gen 1, 2.0 unit with the clear cover. Just before the white one.

Woke up this morning to the device frozen solid and my sprinklers stuck on this time. That was with NTP shut off so that wasnt it. You guys here still experiencing problems?

HFTobeason
    Participant

I turned NTP on this morning at 8:30AM. It is now 10:30AM, and the unit is still okay. Note that I have Auto Reconnect OFF.

Auto Connect Off, roger that. I will test that next. Thank you for the reply.

Ray
    Keymaster

Most likely it’s the Auto Connect that’s causing the trouble. It basically tries to ping the router and see if it’s still connected. This feature is implemented in the first place because in case there is a power break, and the controller is powered on before the router is, it should be able to re-establish IP from the router.

A quick work-around is to set a static ip on the controller (note, this only works if you set a static ip on the controller, not by using IP reservation on the router), you can turn off auto-connect, and since the ip is fixed, it doesn’t need to be re-established. This is probably the best option if you are still seeing freezing problem.

Ray,

Thank you for the reply. The unit has been on Static IP since I took it out of the box and set it up last year. So no DHCP here.
    Things were awesome until I went from 2.0 to 2.1 (over the Winter) and 2.6 (recently). I did not notice anything until I actually started the system back up in Spring.

Ray, I worry about the auto connect feature. I disabled that last weekend and the device actually came back several hours later with a new address in the 192.168.1.X range. Almost like it reset itself or like reconnect “off” means give up and reset the IP stack. Mind you, the device is configured for static IP and my network is not even on that subnet. It’s on 192.168.5.X.

Food for thought. Not sure if it’s relevant or not but I figured it may help us all troubleshoot the issue.

Take care,
    Eric

Ray
    Keymaster

If you’ve recently upgraded the firmware, keep in mind that each firmware upgrade will trigger a system reset and all settings are reversed to factory default. So if you’ve set static IP before, make sure you set it again after firmware upgrade.

I have confirmed that with a Static IP address assigned and Auto Reconnect turned OFF, the device appears to be more stable. NTP sync does not appear to be part of the issue.

jgrylls
    Participant

I too have not had a lockup since turning Auto Re-connect off (I was already using a Static IP) I continue to use NTP sync.

Update
    I spoke too soon, it just locked up.

HFTobeason
    Participant

Auto Reconnect OFF, NTP sync ON, using static IP, 4 programs in use, firmware 2.0.4 — running without problems for 8 days now.

Ray
    Keymaster

@jgrylls: which firmware version are you using? I am curious if anyone is using firmware 2.0.6 and still seeing the lockup issue? If so, my assumption about the lockup may be wrong and I have to think about other causes.

HFTobeason
    Participant

Ray – I’d be happy to load up 2.0.6 and test it, but I couldn’t figure out how…

Ray
    Keymaster

Could you follow this post:
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=692
    to update?

HFTobeason
    Participant

I looked at that post when you issued 2.0.6, but this line stumped me: “Instead, use the firmware updater program from the Github repository (https://github.com/rayshobby/opensprinkler).” When I clicked that link to get to Github, I assume I then need to drill down through OpenSprinkler Controller -> software -> osFirmwareUpdater -> application.macosx -> osFirmwareUpdater.app… But now I’m lost. I must assume that, somewhere in that chain, I’m supposed to be able to download the updater program. I’m just too stupid to figure it out…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware opensprinkler freezes – front yard dies