OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware opensprinkler freezes – front yard dies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Keymaster

No, it’s not your fault. Github does not support downloading a subfolder. You have to download the entire package (see the ‘Download Zip File’ button on the lower right corner of this page: https://github.com/rayshobby/opensprinkler) and unzip it, then go into the subfolders and find the updater program there (in Mac, just find the osFirmwareUpdater.app which you saw, and then run it).

Ray
    Keymaster

Actually I just realized something: the updater programs in the Github repository does not come with avrdude tool embedded. So unless if you’ve already installed avrdude, you will probably see a ‘avrdude: no such file or directory’ error. I will update the pre-packaged updater prorams later tonight so you can download them from the firmware update instructions page:
    http://rayshobby.net/?page_id=732#upload
    and will post an update once that’s done.

HFTobeason
    Participant

Thanks, Ray. I’ll wait for your post…

Been on version 2.0.6 here. It was locking up until I shut off Auto Connect.

When it’s about to get mad and lockup the following happens:

>Inability to get to the website reliably on PC. Page loading was slow. (device reboot fixes temporarily)
    >If I made it in to the website the Programs page would not load at all. (device reboot fixes temporarily)
    >Gradual degradation of overall site performance until it would just fully lock up. (device reboot fixes temporarily)
    >Impossible to access with iPad browser or app. (device reboot fixes temporarily)

Perhaps it’s overtaxed with a rogue process or a memory leak until it locks? The slow degradation almost hints to a memory leak.

The IP Stack(or the monitoring code around it) has always been a little strange as the connectivity bars display in the lower right corner would eventually show disconnected(little X) even though it was fine. I was hoping 2.0.6 would fix that. Alas, it did not.

Just foods for thought.

Eric

jgrylls
    Participant

I am using 2.0.6 and am still seeing the lockup issue.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Ray
    Keymaster

@HFTobeason: the firmware updater tool now includes firmware 2.0.6. Please follow the download link and instructions here:
    ttp://rayshobby.net/?page_id=732#upload

Ray
    Keymaster

@jgrylls: when the device locks up, can you check the LCD and let me know what it displays? Does the LCD respond to button press?

Ray
    Keymaster

The IP Stack(or the monitoring code around it) has always been a little strange as the connectivity bars display in the lower right corner would eventually show disconnected(little X) even though it was fine. I was hoping 2.0.6 would fix that. Alas, it did not.

The monitoring code does the following: it pings the router (gateway) every minute to see if it can get a response. If it can’t get a response twice in a roll it will display a disconnection icon (even though the connection may still be valid). Also, if ‘Auto Connect’ is on, it will try to re-establish network connection. If DHCP is used, this re-connection can take a little while (the time out is 30 seconds). During the re-connection process the controller appears unresponsive, but it’s actually still alive. As soon as it re-establishes connection (or times out), it will come back to perform program scheduling etc.

Although uncommon, in some cases routers are set to reject ping requests, in which case the algorithm will clearly not work. In any case, I will figure out a more robust way to test connection and implement the auto connect feature. For now, turning Auto Connect off is probably the best work-around.

jgrylls
    Participant

Responsive only to power refresh when locked up.
    The unit is located remotely in a shed, connected to the network through an Edimax EW-7303HPn V2 Wifi bridge to my Wifi router. The Router signal level is fairly weak at the bridge but the bridge and a Wemo switch operating through the bridge are reliable. I use the Wemo switch to reset the sprinkler unit when it locks up.
    The sprinkler unit operated reliably when connected directly to the router driving only LEDs during the testing phase pre-installation.
    So it seems that the sprinkler unit cannot cope with a slightly marginal Internet connection.

Unit finally froze again today. Just takes longer with Auto Reconnect Off. Looking forward to the next firmware release. 🙂

Wooo! 2.0.7 released! Installed. Re-programmed. Crossing fingers! 🙂

jgrylls
    Participant

24 hours now without a hiccup on 2.0.7, ntp sync on, auto reconnect off, looking good so far.

Mine reset itself via Watchdog patch over the night some time. Not sure when. I can tell because my Log last run was empty which signifies a reboot.
    I suppose this is a good thing. However I suspect reboots may happen during a watering event and I would lose that program until the next run time.
    Better than the thing fully locked while I’m on vacation I guess.

Current Configuration:
    OpenSprinkler 2.0 System Board Design
    2.0.7 Firmware
    Network directly connected to switch via 8 foot CAT5
    Static IP Address
    Auto Reconnect On (Will try off again but this did not matter in 2.0.6, still locked)
    NTP Sync On (2.0.6 still locked regardless of this setting)
    2 Programs
    5 Stations
    No enhanced features used.

1 Watchdog Reset event so far

jgrylls
    Participant

48 hours now without a hiccup on 2.0.7, ntp sync on, auto reconnect off, looking good so far. 🙂

jgrylls
    Participant

Been running over a week now over a slightly flaky internet connection with no problems at all. Using version 2.0.7 with ntp updating on and auto reconnect off. Great work Ray.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware opensprinkler freezes – front yard dies