OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware OpenSprinkler (not OSPI!) Firmware 2.0.8 Released

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author

Samer
    Keymaster

@iDoug, the space issue will be fixed in 2.0.9 (was NOT intentional) and that will fix the import/export as well as all the other issues. I understand your point and respect it but just so you know I document everything I do on Github. Every small change gets pushed by itself with a comment describing what I changed. The documention contains over 1000 individual changes published here: https://github.com/salbahra/Sprinklers/commits/master.

In regard to the testing, it is impossible to test every aspect however I do understand how important this is and have started adding automated testing which will get checked after every commit. These are still being built out but in the future it should lower the bug frequency dramatically.

TechFan
    Participant

Yes, the comment count is my fault. We had some 2.0.8 and GUI relevant discussion, but much was beyond the basic issues.

iDoug
    Participant

@salbahra You are not building up my confidence.

… and have started adding automated testing which will get checked after every commit.

Don’t you mean before the commit?

Perhaps you should consider: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test-driven_development

Ray
    Keymaster

To all,

I would like to apologize for the bugs introduced in 2.0.8, the SPACE issue being the primary one and is completely my fault (since I wrote the firmware). So please do not target criticisms to Samer as he is only trying to help work around the issue by cleverly using the UI. A new firmware 2.0.9 will be released shortly today or tomorrow, which will address the main issues.

As we keep updating the firmware and UI, issues like this will probably occur at some point. Even SparkFun had a major incident recently where they shipped 2000 microcontroller boards without bootloader:
    http://hackaday.com/2014/08/21/sparkfun-ships-2000-microviews-without-bootloaders/
    So all that I could ask is to please be patient and report the issues as you find them. As I mentioned in another thread, we don’t have the kind of testing and support resources as big companies have, and we rely heavily on users to help us test and provide feedback.

We usually do test updates pretty thouroughly before releasing them, but in this particular case, since 2.0.8 involves primarily UI changes, we focused on testing the UI elements and forgot to thouroughly test the firmware functionality. Again, apologize for that and will try to avoid this happening again in the future. Thanks.

-Ray

TechFan
    Participant

Thanks Ray! No blame/criticism here. In general, if you aren’t willing to contribute some troubleshooting with an open source project, it is best to not install updates without researching the feedback first. Thanks for your hard work! And Samer too. His GUI provides a lot of polish to the experience!

Ray
    Keymaster

@TechFan: i am not sure how to ‘researching the feedback first’ before releasing it to the users. We will certainly do our best to test and troubleshoot everything before the update is released, but as I said we (me being the only person working on the firmware) rely heavily on users to give us feedback and comments, to discover issues that we were not able to find during our internal testing, and I believe this is the case with many open-source projects. If the new firmware is not satisfactory, you can always switch back to the previous version of the firmware. I think it would be too much to expect the new version to be perfect before it can be released.

TechFan
    Participant

I wasn’t referring to you checking feedback. I was referring to the approach as a user. Research before installing. Early adapters need to be willing to help smash those bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, sorry for my misunderstanding. Points taken. Thanks.

Ray
    Keymaster

Firmware 2.0.9 is now released. Please see the announcement here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=888. Thanks!

TechFan
    Participant

But this thread needs to get to 100! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware OpenSprinkler (not OSPI!) Firmware 2.0.8 Released