OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) OpenSprinkler Pi Exhaust Fan – Sealed Case Cooling

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

solar411

I live in Phoenix and as summer is approaching the OSRPi v1.3 in my sealed case is getting pretty hot. With heatsinks it is already running over 85c for a short amount of time. Was wondering what the best way to install a small exhaust fan. Am I able to splice one of the 5v rails from the RPi and run a small fan?

Something like this fan: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076O831G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2H3QE25AGJEMY

Thanks!!

solar411

Anyone? It’s getting hotter.

Should I go with a 5v and splice? Should I go with a 24v and splice before OSPi? Or maybe a USB fan if I can fit one?

Lamby
    Participant

You could get a 24vac one, attach it to one of the solenoid relays and write some code to turn it on when it gets hot?

Ray
    Keymaster

The 5V fan you linked to seems to draw 400mA of current. If you use it, I would recommend using a separate 5V power supply, instead of drawing power directly from the OSPi board.

scottsh
    Participant

@Lamby wrote:

You could get a 24vac one, attach it to one of the solenoid relays and write some code to turn it on when it gets hot?

I love this idea – I’m not sure there are 24VAC fans but being able to control it based on temp or a schedule or whatever would make sense.

rederikus
    Participant

Remember that the OSPi’s power supply is 24 Volts AC. It derives it’s power and the power for the Raspberry Pi from this base supply. Most irrigation transformers provide about 1 – 1.25 Amps AC which is sufficient to run the electronics and switch two sprinkler valves (Master and one channel). Most fans for electronics use are designed to run from a DC supply. The DC for the electronics is provided by a LM2596 chip which, why adequately powerful to provide enough power, has been implemented on the board specifically to provide a fairly small amount of DC power.

There is no heat sink on the LM2596 so heat generation is a consideration. Further the electrical noise generated by many fans may cause problems for the Pi. Given this and the limited overall power available “within the box” I would recommend that any extra fans are powered by their own, separate power supply.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) OpenSprinkler Pi Exhaust Fan – Sealed Case Cooling