OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) OpenSprinkler Pi (plus) using 9V valve

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Moritz
    Participant

Hello,

I just cleared my recently bought OpenSprinkler Pi (plus) from customes and now i would like to start working on it.
    Therefore I’d like to know if it is possible to connect a 9V valve to it instead of a 24V valve.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ray
    Keymaster

Do you have a link to your 9V valve? I’ve seen several 9V valves that are latching solenoid valves. These cannot be used with OpenSprinkler Pi because the control mechanism for latching solenoids is different.

Moritz
    Participant

Hello,
    thank you for yourt quick response. I was sumply thinking of a Gardena 9V valve.

further documentation: link

I don’t know for which parameters I need to look at to be sure. If not, I#ll take the 24V valve.

Ray
    Keymaster

I am pretty sure this Gardena valve is a latching solenoid valve, so it’s NOT compatible with OSPi. I can tell it because the document says the 9V valve is to be used with control unit 1250, which is a battery powered controller. Only latching solenoid valves can work with battery powered controller, 24VAC valves cannot work with battery powered controller.

Moritz
    Participant

Ok, thank you, and if I take the 24V valve?
    Would that work?

David
    Participant

you can take the 24V valves from Gardena. The Opensprinkler is made for this. 🙂

I use the 24V gardena valves too. And there are cheaper than the 9V valves.

But if you have some 9V valve. You can control some relays with Opensprinkler to power the valves with 9V DC.

Moritz
    Participant

Hi,

thank you. I’ll try the 24V Gardena valve 😉

How about having a control box for remote | local control? How could i realize that?

Ray
    Keymaster

What do you mean by a ‘control box’? You mean a waterproof enclosure?

Moritz
    Participant

Before stating to look for a local control box, I need to get my valve working.
    I now bought a 3/4″ NC valve typ RMV6103 (http://www.magnetventile-shop.de/datenblaetter/kunststoffventileserie3t.pdf?xploidID=p8ekf3udr2r35k60mvgr1mh5l5) connected conforming to manual to COM and the other cable to the station terminal.

Now starting the android app, I managed to configure everything and just wanted to open the valve for a couple of seconds without success.
    Nothing happened.

How can I debug this issue?
    Is there maybe a bug in the android app, even though I can here that something is happening electrically on the valve. Can I send a command via ssh shell?

Ray
    Keymaster

Which firmware are you running on the OSPi? We’ve recently updated the OSPi pre-configured SD card image and the default firmware on start-up using the new SD card image is the OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware. In case you are running other firmwares, like Python Interval, or Rich’s sprinkles_pi program, please specify. Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) OpenSprinkler Pi (plus) using 9V valve