OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests OpenSprinkler POE edition

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

ClaytonRoss
    Participant

I would really love to see a POE version of the controller come out.
    POE is great in so many ways. POE provides 48vdc I use it quite a bit for IP cameras and Wifi access points.
    In many poe setups the ability to just put a battery backup on the poe switch VS lots of distributed power sources is efficient and convenient.
    With a POE enabled device powering VIA solar is an easy and well charted step.
    With the new DC version of the controller this seems like a strait forward evolution.

I already use POE temp controllers and POE cameras on my green houses , it would be great to do the same with the OS controller.
    POE simplifies deployment, and has the great feature of remote power cycle via the poe switch. That and a wired connection is more reliable and if you can get the wired connection and power via one cable that is really great.

If you arnt keen on a poe version, maybe a POE hat like what they made from the raspberry pi 3
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/poe-hat/

Ray
    Keymaster

I have a quick question about the POE standard: is 48vdc the standard voltage for POE? That’s definitely too high for driving solenoids directly (the DC-powered OpenSprinkler uses a 7.5VDC power supply, though anything between 5VDC to 12VDC is also fine). If 48vdc is standard, that means it needs to be stepped down (through a switching regulator) to something in the 6 to 9V range. If POE can carry 24VAC, that would be more suitable as then it can work with AC-powered OpenSprinkler.

calanish
    Participant

48vdc is the standard, IEEE 802.3af-2003 provides for up to 12.95 W per port.

There are newer higher power standards and non standard voltage proprietary versions – the most common proprietary one is probably the Ubiquity WiFi ecosystem.

The Raspberry Pi POE Hat is interesting but expensive and you still have to run a UTP cable between it and the Pi, I just use Texas Wifi POE -> Ethernet and µUSB cable. Bulkier but a lot cheaper.

JimS
    Participant

I did something similar but not completely meeting the POE specs. I bought a set of power injector adapters that allow power to be put on the unused ethernet conductors at the router and broken out at the Pi. Then got a 12V to 5V regulator board for the Pi end. Use a wall wart at the router plugged into a UPS. I damaged the power supply IC on the OSPi so I removed it. Now I supply power to the Pi power port. Eliminates SD card corruption for when I lose power which does happen from time to time. Would be great to have at least a jumper to disable the on board power supply. Someone probably makes a breakout adapter that meets POE specs if there was a jumper or you disable the OSPi power supply.

mike1
    Participant

Seriously agree with the POE option.
    (1) I would MUCH RATHER have an RJ45 network port than use Wifi. (I keep as many things OFF wifi as possible as it is a contended network so save that for tablets etc & it’s just reliable!)
    (2) POE would be awesome. I use it wherever possible. Converting from 48v to 12v – could use the following buck device from Aliexpress I guess. #us3-$4.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Step-Down-DC-DC-9V-90V-84V-72V-60V-48V-36V-to-12V-3A-Buck/32889666422.html

JimS
    Participant

One thing to keep in mind… POE does not eliminate the need for 24VAC for the zone valves. It would just provide an alternate source for the processor which is the main reason I did it. The Ethernet wiring isn’t heavy enough to use for the 24VAC.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests OpenSprinkler POE edition