OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Opensprinkler Updater for Linux – how to install it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,

I’have been using an Opensprinkler device (hardware 2.3 DC and firmware 2.1.7) for a while now and I find it very useful. Some weeks ago I got the notification about the availability of the new 2.1.8 firmware version. The last time I did it I used the Windows version of Opensprinkler Updater, but now I normally (just not to say always) use Ubuntu and I would like to try to use the Opensprinkler Updater in Linux. I followed the Opensprinkler Firmware Update Guide and so I downloaded the Linux 64 bit Opensprinkler Updater program, but then I don’t know how to proceed: the guide says to install the software but I don’t know how to do it.

I’m sure a Linux enthusiast but not an ICT expert, I’ve always installed program in my system from remote repositories or, just very few times, with single deb files. How can I install the Opensprinkler Updater? If I click the download button I obtain a compressed folder without any deb file inside.
    Thank you for your help.

Marco

Ray
    Keymaster

We’ve noted in the firmware release note that 2.1.8 is only for OS 3.0 and OSPi. Since you have OS 2.3, you can ignore it as there is no firmware 2.1.8 for OS 2.3

In the future (e.g. for 2.1.9) you can update it using the alternative updater. The firmware update page, scroll to almost the bottom of the page, there is a link to the alternative updater, which supports all operating systems.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

OK so the 2.1.8 firmware would not affect the functionality of my OS 2.3 DC. But because I have received, and I keep on receiving it, the notification in the app about the firmware update I was going to do it.

Next time I’ll have to apply a firmware update I’ll try the way you’ve suggested me (alternative updater). But reading the firmware update guide it seemed clear to me that the main way to update the “OpenSprinkler 2.x (with Ethernet jack)” through a computer with Linux was:
    – download the software clicking the “Linux 64-bit” button;
    – install it (my problem was how to do it);
    – run the program as root using sudo in order to gain USB permissions.
    Maybe could be good to adapt the text of this webpage making clear that people who use Linux have to use the alternative updater.

Thanks and bye.

Ray
    Keymaster

The downloaded file is a Zip file — you just need to unzip it, and there is an executable (called OpenSprinkler Updater) there.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Ray,
    yes I had already downloaded and unzipped the zip file but my problems were (sorry if they seems basic questions but I’m an entusiasth but not that expert in ICT)at
    – I didn’t know which one was the executable file (now it is clear, and it wasn’t before, that the executable file is the “Opensprinkler Updater”);
    – I know I have to run it as root using “sudo” (it’s clearly written in the OpenSprinkler Firmware Update Guide) but I don’t know exactly how to run it! I searched around but I don’t find a clear guide to understand how to run such a file in Linux. Should I launch it in the terminal using sudo? It doesn’t work for me, or maybe I did it in the wrong way.
    Please, if you think, specify a little more what should be done to “Run the program as root using sudo in order to gain USB permissions”.
    Bye.

Ray
    Keymaster

Should I launch it in the terminal using sudo? — yes
    You said it doesn’t work — can you please paste the error message? ‘Doesn’t work’ does not really give me sufficient information about how to help you fix it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Ray,
    thank you for trying to help me even if this is not a priority issue and I apologize for this late answer. I wrote a generic “it doesn’t work” because I thought that once I knew the name of file to launch I could try solve this issue by myself. I recently tried again but without success.
    So, here is a more detailed explanation of what I do and what are the troubles I find with my attempts:
    – I download the zip file in the Desktop folder and I extract it in the same place, so the folder where I can find the “OpenSprinkler Updater” file is /home/marco/Desktop/OpenSprinkler-Updater-linux64 (if look at the “OpenSprinkler Updater” file I can see that: the file name has a space – not sure if it could be a problem – inside, the file type in the basic properties is a shared library (application/x-sharedlib) and the execute flag in the permission properties is not defined);
    – I open the terminal and I enter in the /home/marco/Desktop/OpenSprinkler-Updater-linux64 folder with the command “cd /home/marco/Desktop/OpenSprinkler-Updater-linux64”;
    – if I write in the terminal “sudo Opensprinkler Updater”, I get this message: “sudo: OpenSprinkler: command not found”;
    – if I write in the terminal “‘sudo Opensprinkler Updater'” (in inverted commas), I get the same message: “sudo: OpenSprinkler Updater: command not found”;
    – if change the name of the file in, e.g., OpenSprinkler_Updter and I write in the terminal “sudo Opensprinkler_Updater”, I get the same message: “sudo: OpenSprinkler_Updater: command not found”;

So, I don’t know how to proceed. I think it could be good to document a little more this point of the procedure to help who, as I, is not so expert.
    Bye.
    Marco

Samer
    Keymaster

Sounds like you don’t have sudo installed on the machine. Try: apt-get install sudo or whatever package manager your system uses.

Ray
    Keymaster

Modern operating systems all support file names with space characters (we are not in DOS era any more). Generally when you type a file name in command line, you can type the first few characters and press TAB to let the system auto-complete the file name. You can’s directly type a file name with space characters without escape characters — otherwise it would think the spaces separate command line arguments and will not treat them as part of the file name. The auto-complete will add escape characters so that it recognizes these are space characters in the file name. Or you can put the entire file name in quotes. We assume that anyone who uses the Linux version would know these basics. If you don’t you can always google the question to find out (such as Google “how to type file name with space in Linux”).

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Samer I use a Ubuntu 16.04 system and synaptic as Package Manager. Sudo was already installed but after your suggestion I’ve reinstalled it. After this reinstallation I don’t experience any change in the response of the system when I type
    sudo OpenSprinkler\ Updater

or
    sudo "OpenSprinkelr Updater"

in both cases I get:
    sudo: OpenSprinkler Updater: command not found

@Ray
    I’ve been using Linux for more or less 10 years now, as a simple user and surely not as an expert, and it’s the first time I see a program file with spaces inside its name. Sure, I was not aware about that, but I think this point should be better documented in the instructions about the use of the OpenSprinkler Updater. Anyway, there’s no real need to solve this problem because there are more alternative ways to update the Opensprinkler Firmware, but I would be happy to find the way to launch this program. Which could be the issue that stops me?

Thank you for your advice. Bye.

Marco

Ray
    Keymaster

In Linux, if you want to run an executable in a local folder, which is not in any of the system paths, you need to use:
    sudo ./whatever_executable_name
    If you don’t include ./ it will only search in system paths, and as I said a local path is not by default included in system path.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi @ray, thank you for your answer. It seems the last suggestion you gave me was precious to make some steps ahead (yes I didn’t know about the need to add “./” to the command if the executable isn’t in a system path) but I still have problems trying to run the “OpenSprinkler Updater” software.

In the last weeks I upgraded my OS, so now in my laptop runs Ubuntu 18.04. This is what I did to try to launch the program:
    – I moved to the local folder where I’ve unzipped the downloaded file, then I ran in the terminal:

sudo ./'OpenSprinkler Updater'

and I got this as answer (it seems that the command works, before it didn’t, but it seems there is a new problem):

./OpenSprinkler Updater: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I’ve google a little (https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues/2191 and https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues/1305) and I’ve read that in Ubuntu 18.04 the libgconf-2.so.4 is missing.

– I tried to install libconf-2-4 and then repeated the command:

sudo ./'OpenSprinkler Updater'

and I got this as answer:

[6350:6350:0116/132007:FATAL:nw_content_renderer_hooks.cc(48)] Failed to load node library (error: libnode.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
    Illegal instruction

I guess that if I would have not upgraded my OS recently, I could successfully run ‘OpenSprinkler Updater’, but now with Ubuntu 18.04 it doesn’t work.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Opensprinkler Updater for Linux – how to install it