OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) OSPi is so versatile! I control my Catflap with mine!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

tony1
    Participant

We wanted a way to let the cats in and out whilst we’re away, we don’t let them out at night as they decimate the local wildlife. The neighbours feed them but we can’t expect them to get round early enough to let them out or lock the flap at night so…

One cheap linear continuous solenoid, a length of cable and a 24vac to 12vdc converter and Bingo! Remote controlled cat flap!

If anyone wants further details I’ll happily write it up.

Thanks Ray et al, I’m loving the OSPi!

DaveC
    Participant

Hi,

I would like to know more about how you built the flap control. I don’t need OS to control it as I have low voltage relays in my automation system that can provide a similar control function, but the ability to control the cat door is interesting. I need to look at putting RFID chips on the cats so I know where they are before closing the door:)

TIA!

tony1
    Participant

The solenoid fits nicely inside the flap ferring (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141673673315?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT). I drilled two holes on the outside of the flap, but on the inside ferring, to allow the solenoid to operate freely. It’s the type that’s usually retracted, so if there’s a power cut the cats can get out. There’s a few heat issues, which I’m hoping a few vent holes in the cat flap (http://www.amazon.co.uk/SureflapSureflap-SureFlap-Microchip-Pet-Door/dp/B009NH6NR0) will fix.

I’ll post better pics when I drill the vent holes tomorrow.

DaveC
    Participant

Thanks for the product pointers. What are the heat issues?

tony1
    Participant

The solenoid gets quite hot when engaged. I’m hoping that vent holes to the outside might help. If not I may have to see if I can find a latching solenoid.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) OSPi is so versatile! I control my Catflap with mine!