OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App port forwarding question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author

cashperkins
    Participant

Hi..

I have open sprinkler 2.0 and I can attach to the internal config using 192.168.1.22. I have this set as a static IP address.

I’m using Netgear R6300 router and I’ve set port forwarding as shown here:

SERVICE NAME: HTTP External Start Port 80 External End Port 80 Internal Start Point: 80 Internal End point: 80 Internal IP Address: 192.168.1.22

I get the screen to connect and I see:
    Open Sprinkler Name: Home
    Open Sprinkler IP: 192.168.1.22
    Open Sprinkler Password: opendoor

It just spins and never connects. I’ve rebooted router, host, etc. and no joy.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

cashperkins
    Participant

One correction… I use:

Open Sprinkler IP: 192.168.1.22:8080

just spins… no connectivity

Thanks in advance!

Ray
    Keymaster

To use the hosted app, you need to provide your router’s external IP address (or a dynamic DNS name if you’ve set up dynamic DNS for your router).

cashperkins
    Participant

How do I do that?

Vaughano
    Participant

It will depend on your internet provider. For me, my IP address is shown when I log on to my members page with my provider. You may also be able to find this on the administration site on your router.

Some providers, particularly mobile internet, provide no public IP address at all.

Can you provide more detail on your specifics?

cashperkins
    Participant

Thanks for reply. My internet provider is time warner cable. I do see the address of my router in open sprinkler options which is 192.168.1.1 My router is connected to a cable modem via the wan port. In the router admin DNS is set to (0) get automatically from ISP.

Samer
    Keymaster

Just visit wimi.com or google: IP

This will show you your WAN IP

cashperkins
    Participant

Thanks…. google IP shows my address as: Your public IP address is ***removed***

Where do I put this information? In the open sprinkler config by plugging directly into the unit, or in my router to port forward.
    Sorry… just very confused at this point. All help most welcome!

-= Cash

Samer
    Keymaster

If you goto http://rayshobby.net/apps/sprinklers/ it will ask you for the device IP and password. If you put the reply from google with port (eg. 72.63.92.162:8080) and put the password (eg. opendoor) you should be presented with the mobile interface and be good to go.

cashperkins
    Participant

OMG!!! Success!

Thanks to all who helped! Now I’m onto figuring out how to make this show up on my iphone/ipad as an icon.

Thanks again!

-= Cash

Samer
    Keymaster

fsped09

Sorry to bump an old thread but I’m having some trouble using port forwarding. Does port forwarding work for the Mobile App?

I’ve configured my router correctly, when I go to the Mobile App, I select manually add device. I enter my IP, 41.x.x.x:80. I enter my password which was changed from the default opendoor. I click submit, the busy wheel spins, then it throws the following: Check IP/Port, and try again. What am I doing wrong? I’d like to access this away from my home network. Thanks in advance.

Samer
    Keymaster

Yes port forwarding works well with the mobile app.

When using port 80 you don’t need to define it. See if that helps (just the IP).

Are you sure your port forwarding port 80 to the correct device?

fsped09

@salbahra wrote:

Yes port forwarding works well with the mobile app.

When using port 80 you don’t need to define it. See if that helps (just the IP).

Are you sure your port forwarding port 80 to the correct device?

I tried just the IP same problem. I’ve got a Linksys router. My OSPi has a static IP of x.x.x.131. In the router I went to ‘Single Port Forwarding’ There is an External Port and Internal Port Column. I set them both to 80. Protocol is listed as ‘Both’, then my .131 IP address with the enable button checked.

I disbale wifi on my phone, go through the steps but I still arrive at ‘Check IP/Port and try again’

Are there any other settings needed in the router?

Samer
    Keymaster

Some ISP’s may block port 80/443 and other ports such as 445. Check another port and see if it works.

fsped09

@salbahra wrote:

Some ISP’s may block port 80/443 and other ports such as 445. Check another port and see if it works.

I checked with my ISP and you’re correct port 80 was in fact blocked by them. They said that 443 was not blocked so I tried that. Same results. On the app I tried using my ip that I got off whatsmyip.com with and without the :443. Same result. I just read that I can unblock 80 since I subscribe to a higher package deal, but I’ll need to be on my home network to make the changes. When I get off of work I’ll give it a try and post my results. Thanks for your help.

cfrogjump

You won’t want to use 443 as a alternate to port 80. Most browsers will assume you are using SSL to connect when connecting to port 443 and will confuse the whole situation. Try using a port like 8080 or 1080.

fsped09

Thanks for the advice, but I’m still having an issue. Here is what I’m looking at.
    This is Single Port Forwarding, I also have the option for Port Range (thats blank).

And my device. The x’s are my IP from my ISP. I’ve tried with and without the port number. The busy wheel spins and I get the same error as from my original post. The info I read about port 80 being blocked and unblocking it didn’t pan out. Open to any other ideas thanks. 🙁

Ray
    Keymaster

The first thing you want to try is to open a browser, and type in:
    http://x.x.x.x:1080
    where x.x.x.x is your IP from your ISP. If this doesn’t work, the app won’t work either. Can you type down the first two fields (i.e. first two x.x.) of your IP? From that we can probably tell if this is an external IP or internal IP.

fsped09

Hey Ray, you’re right, it didn’t work.

fsped09

So I can confirm that port 80 is not blocked, I called my ISP and they showed me how to unblock it, but I’m still seeing that error. I’ve tried with and without :80 after my IP.

Do I need to adjust any settings on the OSPi or is this a problrm with the app?

fsped09

@ray wrote:

The first thing you want to try is to open a browser, and type in:
    http://x.x.x.x:1080
    where x.x.x.x is your IP from your ISP. If this doesn’t work, the app won’t work either. Can you type down the first two fields (i.e. first two x.x.) of your IP? From that we can probably tell if this is an external IP or internal IP.

Update: When I went to x.x.x.x:80 (the 80 disappeared) in Chrome I was brought to a “OpenSprinkler Pi (OSPi) Pre-Configured SD Card” page. Mostly text and some links.

Am I on the right path? This seems like its some progress.

Still getting the error on the web app. I’m trying to set up two connections one for when I’m on my network and one off. I’m assuming since there is an “Add” button, you can have multiple connections.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance… again. 🙂

kkpwrh2o

Greetings,

Having a similar situation in that I can see the “inside: IP addr for my OSPi, can see that port 80 is visible via WhatIsMyIP on the “outside” IP, yet can’t get the app of to see the OSPi using either IP. Don’t think I have changed the password. Is there somewhere to check to ensure the password is the default, or reset the password to the default “open-door” p/w?

Thanks,
    KK

fsped09

@kkpwr&h2o wrote:

Greetings,

Having a similar situation in that I can see the “inside: IP addr for my OSPi, can see that port 80 is visible via WhatIsMyIP on the “outside” IP, yet can’t get the app of to see the OSPi using either IP. Don’t think I have changed the password. Is there somewhere to check to ensure the password is the default, or reset the password to the default “open-door” p/w?

Thanks,
    KK

I think the default password is ‘opendoor’ not ‘open-door’

kkpwrh2o

I typed it wrong on my post but have been entering it correctly in the App though. Thanks

BTW, how would one know if they entered the wrong password in the App. I am assuming I have the wrong p/w because I keep getting the “CheckIP/port entry” error msg.
    KK

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Mobile and Web App port forwarding question