Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Rick
    Participant

Hi All
    Hope someone can help me here

My open sprinkler has been working fine since installation in January 2015

it now has No IP and has stopped turning on the sprinklers etc it does have a mac address i cannot see it on the network and if i Hit button B1 to show IP address i get all black boxes apart from top right hand corner there are some characters there
    see attached picture

i have just tried to update the firmware and i get this message trying with 2.12 and 2.1.3

====== Thu Apr 16 16:47:22 2015 ======

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e960a

avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA644 is 1E 96 09

avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed

To disable this feature, specify the -D option.

avrdude: erasing chip

avrdude: reading input file “./Firmwares/OpenSprinkler_v2.2/firmware2.1.3.hex”

avrdude: input file ./Firmwares/OpenSprinkler_v2.2/firmware2.1.3.hex auto detected as Intel Hex

avrdude: writing flash (56046 bytes):

avrdude: 56046 bytes of flash written

avrdude: verifying flash memory against ./Firmwares/OpenSprinkler_v2.2/firmware2.1.3.hex:

avrdude: load data flash data from input file ./Firmwares/OpenSprinkler_v2.2/firmware2.1.3.hex:

avrdude: input file ./Firmwares/OpenSprinkler_v2.2/firmware2.1.3.hex auto detected as Intel Hex

avrdude: input file ./Firmwares/OpenSprinkler_v2.2/firmware2.1.3.hex contains 56046 bytes

avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

avrdude: verifying …

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000

0x0c != 0x62

avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude done. Thank you.

====== Thu Apr 16 16:47:22 2015 ======
    Error uploading firmware
    maybe a chip has failed i have no idea whats happened to stop the unit from working.

Ray
    Keymaster

The verification error may be due to defective crystal or perhaps the bootloader has corrupted for some reason. Is this a DIY kit or you purchased it fully assembled?

Rick
    Participant

Hi Ray

Yes it was a do it yourself Kit

and i did have a problem with the x1 25 crystal one leg was bent  out of the box and it broke off close to the housing when i straightened it however i managed to repair it and the unit has worked flawlessly  turning the irrigation/fertigation network on 4 times a day for 2 to 3 months i have had full access to the web interface

it just stopped working i have no idea why i cant see any bad solder joints on it with a magnifying glass

the led indicators on the lan green solid and data flashing as if its talking, but i cannot connect to the unit.

sorry for the delay in reply ray but I am in Australia time difference is a pain

Ray
    Keymaster

In your first post you said ‘see attached picture’ but I don’t seem to find any attachment. Here are some basic steps to diagnose:

1) Does the LCD turn on and display messages? If not, it’s likely something is wrong with the 16MHz crystal (for the microcontroller) causing it to not start.

2) If the LCD turns on but get stuck in the ‘Connecting…’ step, it’s likely an issue with the Ethernet controller and/or 25MHz crystal.

3) After the LCD passes ‘Connecting…’ step, click on B1 and check to see what IP address it’s assigned. If you have a more recent firmware you can click B2 to see the MAC address (but if you have an early version of firmware B2 will not show MAC address).

Let me know your findings.

Rick
    Participant

thanks ray for the reply

the unit is 2.2u

button B1 brings up black boxes with some characters top right hand side after the unit finishes showing CONNECTING but no IP address

Button B2 shows a MAC address

controller seems to be working  i can reset etc and manually set everything from B3 at start up however it will not let me connect and it just stopped controlling the  valves  by itself it has been functioning for months with no problems

ill see if i can find a way to post some pictures

Rick
    Participant

button B1

Attachments:

Rick
    Participant

after start up

Attachments:

Rick
    Participant

Mac address B2

Attachments:

Ray
    Keymaster

That’s really strange, that the LCD displays messages normally just not when you press B1. I would suggest that you use the Firmware Updater to re-flash the firmware and see if that resolves the issue.

Rick
    Participant

I have ordered new parts they should be here early next week if i find out what it is ill post the solution.

already tried to flash the firmware more than once see my first post,the firmware fails i have tried 2 different downloads of the updater

Rick
    Participant

the parts i ordered arrived

1.  I replaced the 25 MHZ crystal no change B1 still shows same <see picture few posts back.>

2. replaced the Ethernet controller chip  B1 still the same

3. replaced the 16 MHZ  and of course <Murphy’s law damaged the board > however managed to tweak it and have it working there is no difference.

the device is detected through the USB connection and i can attempt to upload the firmware it turns the unit off starts to run and then fails

I have used 2 different PC’s to try and update the firmware on win 7 64 bit using the USB driver from the website CH341ser.exe  (see below for error)

avrdude: input file ./Firmwares/OpenSprinkler_v2.2/firmware2.1.3.hex contains 56046 bytes

avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

avrdude: verifying …

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000

0x0c != 0x62

avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude done. Thank you.

Ray
    Keymaster

Do you happen to have an AVR ISP programmer (like USBasp, USBtiny, or any other type of ISP programmer)? If so, you can directly upload firmware through the 2×3 ISP pin headers, and bypass the bootloader. If not, you will probably have to ship it back to us so we can check it for you.

Rick
    Participant

I don’t ray

this maybe starting to get outside my pay grade 🙂

ill ship it back i hope the address  listed is correct

OpenSprinkler

5 Valley Lane

Amherst, MA 01002

USA

Ray
    Keymaster

That is correct.

Rick
    Participant

Ray

Has my unit arrived yet it should be there about now

If so Any luck on what has gone wrong

Rick

Samer
    Keymaster

Hi Rick,

Just to confirm your device has been recieved and is currently being worked on. Ray will get back with you as soon as he has more information.

Thank you.

Rick
    Participant

That is good news

Thanks Samer

Dmitry
    Participant

Hi Ray. Once I assembled OpenSprinkler DIY Kit v1.4u and it worked fine for a year. But now I turned it on again and found the problem. OpenSprinkler does not respond to any signals, just lit display, no inscriptions on it does not appear.

Obviously the problem is in surge. One triac collapsed MAC97A8, I replaced it. But it nothing changed. What can you do in my situation?

With respect.
    Dmitry

Attachments:

Ray
    Keymaster

My suggestion is to first check if the microcontroller is alive. For example, try to upload a firmware, or even simply run the following command (with USB cable plugged in):
    avrdude -c usbtiny -p m328p
    and see if there is any response. If the controller doesn’t respond to firmware update, or to the above command, it’s likely that the microcontorller is damaged. If you can’t figure out, send an email to [email protected] and we can follow up from there.

Ray
    Keymaster

@Rick: The package has been received and the unit has been checked. To me it seems something on the SPI bus is interfering with the microcontroller. I took the microcontroller out, put it in a standalone chip programmer, and re-flashed bootloader to it. After that, I popped it back in and was able to upload firmware from the USB port. It’s not clear to me what was the original cause. It could be a soldering related issue, since this is a DIY kit, it could be a flash memory corruption issue. In any case, you will receive an email to arrange for return shipping.

Rick
    Participant

Thanks Ray
    did you zap the extra micro controller i put in the box for me ( i have a feeling it will happen again)

It is possible that a solder joint is faulty but i suspect something else may have caused the problem even lightning nearby.

I have taken care of the account.

Thanks

Rick

Ray
    Keymaster

Yes, the extra microcontroller is also flashed with bootloader and firmware 2.1.4

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.