Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Dennis
    Participant

Since a few days I have the Open Sprinkler DC version up and running. With the first rain showers behind me I would also like to automate the delay when raining. Which rain sensor do you use with the DC version of OpenSprinkler?

Ray
    Keymaster

If you search ‘rain sensor’ on Amazon you can find plenty of options. The following is one that I’ve used in the past:
    http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-57069-Sprinkler-System-Freeze/dp/B000A7SPPU
    it’s also available at Home Depot and Lowes. Rain sensors are basically just a switch that’s activated by rain, and typically does not need power. So they work with both OpenSprinkler AC and DC versions.

The only complication is wireless rain sensors — a wireless rain sensor usually comes with a transmitter unit and a receiver unit, and the receiver unit is often powered by 24VAC (so that it can share the same power supply with the sprinkler controller). The receiver usually has 2 power wires, and 2 sensor wires. Because OpenSprinkler DC uses a 9VDC power supply, you will need to power the receiver separately with a 24VAC power supply. But you can still plug the sensor wires to OpenSprinkler DC’s rain sensor port.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.