OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Beagle (OSBo) Rain Sensor – Confused by contradictory Documentation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Ok, the fault is probably mine but I can’t seem to figure this out.

I have the OSBo, mine is silkscreened “1.0 Rev Nov 2013”

I want to connect a reed switch into the unit to read the state of my garage door.

According to the schematic on github https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rayshobby/opensprinkler-beagle/master/hardware/osbo_v10_sch.png, the rain sensor port has a 33K (RSU) pull up to VCC with a current limiting resistor of 4.7k (RR) and that is connected to P9-10.

But according to the online manual at http://rayshobby.net/?page_id=7708, the rain sensor connects to P9-15. When I short the inputs of the rain sensor connector, I get no change on the web page that shows rain sensor status.

I tried to beep out the connections but I get confused. My RSU measures 29.9K Ohms, not 33K as shown on the schematic.

Can somebody explain my confusion?

Thanks,
    David

Ray
    Keymaster

There is no contradiction between the two documents:
    – the schematic shows the index of the pin on the corresponding pin headers. Due to the layout of the mapped out pins, the entire P9 is split into three sections, therefore the pin number restarts from 1 on the SYS_5V pins.
    – the online manual shows the actual logic name of the pin, and is the only thing that matters to you when writing software.

The 33Kohm resistor is used to protect the rain sensor GPIO in case someone accidentally connected 24V AC to the rain sensor port (believe it or not, this happened in the past!). 33K, 30K, 27K all work fine, depending on what resistors we have in stock.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Beagle (OSBo) Rain Sensor – Confused by contradictory Documentation