OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Replace two irrigation devices to OpenSprinkler

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

REGE
    Participant

Hello everyone 🙂

I have a plant nursery and for a long time I think how to turn my current irrigation controllers into OpenSprinkler.

Now I have Toro controllers installed: TMC-424 (24 valves) and TMC-212 (12 valves). They manage watering on two master zones. The controllers are about 120 m apart. Unfortunately, there is a road between the main zones, I can not run signal wires through it.

I would like to manage everything through one OpenSprinkler installed in the office, but I do not know how to do it. How to connect it all? Is it possible to use WiFi relays to control “master zone 2” valves or is it better to have two Opensprinklers?

I attach a file with an overview plan.

Please help. I will be grateful for your comments.

Attachments:

Mike
    Participant

If you can get a wifi signal there you should be able to use the remote stations feature.

REGE
    Participant

So I need two OpenSprinkler devices with two Zone Expanders?

Ray
    Keymaster

@REGE: yes it does seem like you need two zone expanders, one for each main controller. If both controllers are able to connect to the WiFi network, then you can make use of the remote station feature like Mike mentioned to manage them together. The basic idea is that the first controller will be the master controller, and the second will be a remote controller. On the master controller, you can set 36 zones (even though it only has 24 physical zones), where the last 12 are configured as remote zones that map to the second controller. On the master controller, if you switch on/off any remote zone it will trigger the action on the remote controller for the corresponding zone. Hope this makes sense.

REGE
    Participant

@Ray, thank you for your answer. Now I know how to modernize my irrigation system. I certainly have to extend the WiFi range.

However, I have doubts about the type of power supply for the controllers. I do not know which AC / DC should I choose? I have TORO EZ-Flo 24VAC solenoid valves. Is the DC controller a good choice for my solenoids? I read the blog, but I need to make sure everything will be ok.

Can you help me with this?

Ray
    Keymaster

Here is a simple way to decide:
    – Do you have a pump start relay? If so, you should choose AC-powered version, as DC-powered version is known to not work with certain pump start relays.
    – Do you need to power the controller off-grid, like using solar power? If so, choose DC-powered version.

Otherwise you can go with either. the AC-powered version is more expensive if you also buy 24VAC power adapter from us. The DC-powered version is cheaper as the price includes DC power adapter already.

REGE
    Participant

I will need to connect the pump start relay and I don’t need to power the controller off-grid, so everything is clear now. Thank you for the explanation.

My mains voltage standard is 220V ~ 240V AC. Can I buy such power supplies from you? Can I use the adapter from the link below or similar?
    Rail mounted PSU (DIN) Comatec TRAFO 24 VA 24V 24 V AC 1 A 24 W

Ray
    Keymaster

If you are not in US/Canada/Mexico, then you need to find a power adapter yourself. Our adapter only takes 110~120VAC input (if you were to use it, you would have to use a step-down transformer, which will be too complicated).

The Rail mounted PSU you found seems fine — it takes 240VAC input, outputs 24VAC, and rated 1amp, so that’s sufficient for AC-powered OpenSprinkler.

REGE
    Participant

Now all I have to do is place an order 🙂

I use my own shipping account. I need to know the dimensions and weight of the package so that the carrier can give the price. Who can I contact regarding the shipment?

Ray
    Keymaster

You should submit a support ticket for custom shipping need. Go to https://support.opensprinkler.com to submit a ticket there.

REGE
    Participant

@Ray, I can’t submit a support ticket because I can’t log in. After I enter the email and password I get an invali time entry error. I attach a screenshot.

It’s ok now I can log in.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums Hardware Questions OpenSprinkler Replace two irrigation devices to OpenSprinkler