OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Reverse sensor operation?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

HeBeGB
    Participant

Hi Folks!
    I didn’t find this question by searching, so please forgive me if I missed it…

I’m wondering if the sensor input can be configured to bypass the programs and *activate* zones… as opposed to the rain sensor *preventing* programs from running? Essentially, can the sensor input form a logical “OR” whereas the rain sensor is a logical “AND” with the program(s) output?

Use cases:
    1. A float switch on a water source holding tank/pond and want to force a pump to drain it when the float detects that the pond is about to overflow its banks
    2. A temp sensor [binary on/off/open/closed] where I want to activate a recirculation system to keep pipes from freezing until the sensor detects warmer temps

In these cases, any/all programs would be bypassed and the attached zone(s) would be activated to open their valve(s) or pump(s).

When the sensor signal is removed (the polarity or open/closed circuit of the sensor can be configured) the program(s) run normally.

Thanks in advance!

Ray
    Keymaster

You can configure the sensor type as ‘Program Switch’, which can be used to trigger a program to run. It will not prevent other programs from running, but it will activate a specific program.

Technically I think you can achieve what you described by wiring the same sensor to both Sensor 1 and Sensor 2. Configure Sensor 1 as either a rain sensor or soil sensor, and set the zones (except the one you want to activate, let’s called Zone Activate) to be affected by Sensor 1. Then configure sensor 2 as Program Switch, and set a program that runs Zone Activate. This way, when the sensor is activated, Sensor 1 signal will prevent all zones from running; and Sensor 2 signal will trigger that program that runs Zone Activate.

HeBeGB
    Participant

Thanks! I think this feature shows promise!

So, I can activate a program based on a sensor input. Excellent!

I have few questions to wrap up:
    1. Does it preempt any program currently going on? Or, does it just add it to the queue for when any current program finishes?
    2. If this “Zone Activate” program is running, will a normal, scheduled program override it?
    3. I assume when the Zone Activate program finishes, the controller will restart Zone Activate if/when the sensor input is recognized again. Is there a delay? As in: If Zone Activate enables a pump for an hour. After the hour, will the controller shut off the pump and then look for the switch input thus causing the pump to stop for a time, or will the controller recognize the switch is still “pressed” and thus restart Zone Activate without switching off the pump? (Cycling a pump like this is not good for it). Otherwise, I could make Zone Activate last 24 hrs, but how would I stop it when the sensor input goes away after say 2 hrs and Zone Activate is no longer needed?

Thank you, thank you, so much!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenSprinkler Forums OpenSprinkler Unified Firmware Reverse sensor operation?